1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 P0A80 7 years 10.5 months-how likely free replace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by phoebeisis, Mar 8, 2014.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, unfortunately, people are the biggest reason that idea wouldn't work. In theory, it would be great, in practice, it would be an exercise in frustration.

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Hmmm-
    hadn't thought of that-
    yeah spring loaded connection-not much surface area-100amps would cook that in short order
    too bad there isn't a practical way to make a spring loaded liquid-mercury?-connection-
    but if there was-someone would have done it
    guess soldering is it for now
    Thanks all
    Charlie

USN
    Yes this is a great forum.
    I'm also a DIY-er
    Frankly I LOVE the 1998 suburban because it is so DIY friendly-cheap readily available parts-easy to get at
    and it is big enough to evacuate 4 contentious cats, 1,2 leggy greyhounds 2,3 adults
    I haven't had to DIY the Prius because it has been so reliable-and the engine bay is sooo tightly packed-it would give me pause-the forum is changing my DIY view of the Prius-should be DIY-A-BLE

Slight aside-CR posted these numbers-BP failures-noticed the 2006 Prius STANDS out with 3% BP replacements
    2004=1%
    2005=2%
    2006=3%
    2007=1%
    2008=0.5%

Maybe the 2006 is just a statistical blip-but maybe it meant some change in battery pack manufacturer-or actual change in building them-it doesn't look random-peaking at 2006-dropping off so abruptly-
    they didn't give actual numbers-how many actual owners,so....

Thanks all
    Charlie

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to hear it worked out ok!

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Thanks
    44 days= pure luck.

Anyone think 2006 Prius are actually at higher risk for premature BP failure?
    CR numbers 3% bracketed by 2004 1% 2005 2% and 2007 1%- look suggestive-but the little article didn't have actual numbers
    So no way to know if the 3% is 1/33 or 10/330 in any case it probably a small sample-maybe I will hunt for better numbers-
    This forum-might very well have already covered this-so I'll hunt here 1st.
    On the bright side the BP they put in will probably be of recent manufacture-and with whatever is "best manufacturing technique" (I hope)
    I wonder what the shelf life is on a BP? 3,4,5,6 years??- Not 8 years I hope.
    Thanks
    charlie

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This issue was recently discussed here: Hybrid Battery Survey-Gen2 Prius 2004-2009 | Page 6 | PriusChat

I analyzed the differences in the numbers between 2005 and 2006 models and found that there was no statistically significant difference (p=0.4).

I even re-ran the numbers allowing for a 20% increase in the expect rates of 2005 failures compared to 2006 (due to being one year older) and it still showed no statistically significant difference between observed and expected. (p=0.2)

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

UART
    Thanks.
    I looked at the other thread-just toward the end.
    CR didn't actually release their raw numbers right?
    But they did say their Prius ownership tracked national prius sales-so that allowed you to make your guesstimate.

We got our prius back last night-no charge-son drove it-he says it is "quieter"-I drove it around the block-and oddly enough it does seem "quieter" but after driving just the 98 suburban-everything is "quieter"
    Ours did get hard service-85,000 miles of maybe 6 mile average trips in HOT NOLA-black on black car(that color can't help)-
    too bad you can't survey by color and location
    Thanks-great forum-
    Charlie
    ps-was the forum "broken hacked" yesterday?-