1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius 21 MPG in cold weather???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by suirp91257, Jan 19, 2010.

1. suirp91257

suirp91257 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Now let me explain a little,We only drive 1 mile to work and let the car warm for 5 min before we take off....I know you ask why buy a Prius if you only drive 1 mile to work...We want'ed to drive something different...anyway we have checked the mileage and we are only getting 21MPG....I did that good in my Grandprix...It does come back up when we drive it a good distance...Just wondering if we should bother to warm it up? Anybody have same problem...We still like the car...Seems to be the way the world is going....Thanks to all.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can make a case for warming it up for about 1 minute (stage 1a of operation), but not after that. Even then, most simply see the idling as a waste of fuel for no purpose other than human comfort in the cold. My commute is 1.5 miles, and just driving it we get around 40 mpg in kansas winter (similar to yours), using zero idle time. Ours is a 2010, but I think similar to Gen 2. Anyway, I think you should be in low 30s on your commute if you wear coat and gloves and forego idling. Its only 2 minutes or so commute?

Make sure your tire pressure is at or above Toyota placard, and that your oil is not over-filled.

When driving several miles, you get what, 45+ mpg?

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have a near-worst-case scenario for Prius fuel economy: Very short trips in cold weather, presumably with cabin heat running.

Any car's fuel economy drops in the winter, but the effect of cold weather on the Prius is proportionately greater because of the car's warmup cycle. When the car is fully warm, the ICE (internal combustion engine) will cut off when not needed for propulsion. Your car never has that chance, so the ICE runs continuously unless it's at a full stop, and even then it runs for the first minute or so after startup.

Warming it up ahead of time is not helping. Just get in and drive.

I strongly suggest you consider an engine block heater. Do a good search on PriusChat for "block heater" or "EBH" for more.

1 person likes this.
  4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And consider grill blocking in winter at least to partially mitigate the warm up problem...

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't believe that you would get 21 mpg in your GrandPrix if you were only driving 1 mile at a time. No vehicle is going to do well under those conditions with the exception of an EV. Maybe you should consider a golf cart. :madgrin:

1 person likes this.
  6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so your complaining about bad mileage when your basically warming up the car for longer then the trip will take?

Your getting 0 mpg when your warming up the car.

7. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A better metric than MPG for standstill is likely going to be gal/hour. 0 MPG doesn't look overly threatening. If you're burring xxx gallons/hour it's more noticeable that you're affecting mileage.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This commute calls for an EV, a bicycle, or feet.

Tom

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, Tom, in isolation. So long as he has someone with a 40+ mile one-way commute to take him to client meetings, lunch, errands, etc.

Luckily, I didn't give up my rights when I moved close to my work, so I'll keep driving short hops getting mediocre mpg. Time is money, and we each allocate our time and money to our own perception of optimal.