1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius 82,000 Miles Dying Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by KQS, Apr 1, 2019.

1. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I am the original owner of a 2006 Prius. The car has less than 82,000. My hybrid battery is dying. Is this worth fixing or should I just trade it in?

I was offered $2500 for the car as is. Trying to decide the best option.

#1 KQS, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2019
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would cost you around $2,500- to $3,000 for a New hybrid battery to be installed. Depending on where you are located.

If you were closer I would buy the car from you in a heartbeat. That car has plenty of life left. A couple hundred thousand miles more.

Beyond the battery, my guess is this is a pretty reliable car.

Call me to discuss options. 608-729-4082
    I have a couple of other questions.

And if you are interested in fixing it, I may be able to help you find a reputable independent shop.
    You definitely want to make sure the car is properly diagnosed.

I just had a customer car today that was told they needed a new battery for $3,000. But guess what? That was not the case. A $250 computer plus some labor was all that was needed.

#2 ericbecky, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How much longer do you want to keep it?

I bought an 06 with super low miles (original owner was retired) and had to replace the dead HV battery at 50k miles back in 2017. I went with a new Toyota pack as I wanted a reliable car for several more years.

Skibob and KQS like this.
  4. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking that it would last me at least 150,000. But the Toyota dealership service said it was not worth fixing. They offered me $1500 trade in, but I did a little research and was offered 2500 cash payment for the car after appraisal.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were closer, I'd buy it - unless you're a smoker....sight unseen.

In other words....yes.
    It's worth fixing!!

PS.....HOW exactly do you know that the battery is "dying?"
    If this condition that was diagnosed by the same person who offered you $2500 for your car OR makes their living ripp---er, I mean selling cars, then I would immediately get a second opinion!

I do not doubt that you're due for a new battery, but I'm suspicious about the diagnosis without codes...towtrucks....etc.
    DEAD......yeah.
    DYING?.....I want to know more here....

jerrymildred and KQS like this.
  6. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I turn the car on the bar is at one or less. The motor keeps running to charge the battery. I took it to the dealership and they did not even run a diagnostic...the service agent told me he could tell it was the hybrid battery because the engine kept starting and stopping.

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought so.

Gee....and they were even generous enough to offer you substantially less than your car is probably worth....at an establishment that PROFITS from........selling cars.

Like I said....
    Hmmmmm.

Here's the deal:

if you're looking for an excuse to saddle yourself with car payments - or - you're not really motivated by money and you have plenty to spare?

Yeah....
    Trade the car in.

However (comma!) if I were you, I'd consider putting a reconditioned battery into your G2 - or even an OEM (factory) battery....but I would lean away from using the establishment that gave you the diagnosis that prompted this thread.

You live in Caly.
    You have other options.

...juuuuust sayin.

PS.
    Post pictures of your car.
    If it's as clean as I think it might be......you might get a better offer even in this one thread on this one forum than the dealer is hoping for. ;)

What's the KBB value?

KQS likes this.
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got a chance to speak to the OP.
    Pointed her in the direction of Avi at Hybrid Fix in Los Angeles if she is interested in getting a diagnostic or to fix.
    Great guy. Super knowledgeable and honest.

9. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius People helping Prius people.

"like"

Hope we get to find out how this story ends......

10. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Carmax offered me the $2500 with all my dashboard warning lights on...including the red triangle. The Toyota dealership offered me $1500 trade in value. I am also having issues with the combo meter going black. I usually just reboot the system by unplugging the 12V battery. This started about 2 1/2 years ago and the dealership told me the part was $4000!!!! Now they tell me that is a $1300 repair. I will go take a picture of the car and post.

11. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the dirty car. :D I was not planning on showing it off! LOL We have street parking so it has lived its life outside near the ocean. And someone recently keyed the driver's side...as you can see in the photo...while it was parked at the airport. It has grey leather interior. I should have taken a picture of that also.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to the red triangle this is what my information panel is showing...the red car with the exclamation point. I am not sure if you can see it in the photo.

Attached Files:

13. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again...apologies...I normally would have it detailed before showing it...but was not planning on all of this. It has been mostly sitting the past two weeks because I am nervous about driving it around with the warning lights.

Attached Files:

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure about the mileage, that drivers seat is pretty warn!

15. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely...81,133 to be exact. It is on the appraisal from Carmax from this past Saturday. I looked into other avenues after the Toyota mechanic from the dealership told me it was not worth the cost of replacing the battery and that it would just become a money pit. I drive the car daily but short distances. I am not sure why that seat has not held up as well as the other leather seats in the car. We purchased the car on 2/03/06. It had 3 miles on it according to the title.

16. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At any rate I am going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow that specializes in hybrids to get a diagnosis. I really thought we would have this car for several more years since it was a Toyota.

17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With the low miles and a new battery it will go 300k miles. Prius like to be driven, the low miles is actually a bad thing for the battery. I would fix it and drive it.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. KQS

KQS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is probably my problem then. My commute is not far enough...less than 8 miles. :) We had planned on giving it to our son who is currently away at college, but I don't want reliability to be a problem. I will know more tomorrow after I take it for the diagnostic. Thank you to everyone who has offered opinions...especially ericbecky who I spoke with on the phone and gave me advice. I just don't want to get rid of the car if I don't have to.

19. Tedh1979

Tedh1979 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @2k1Toaster can sell you brand new battery cells for $1600. They are pretty easy to install. They'll last about 10 years if not more.

20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely worth fixing. If it's only driven short distances, that could explain the rapid wear on just that part of the driver's seat.

Eight miles each way is kind of hard on any car since the exhaust system might not get dry. And it's rough on mileage because the engine is cold for most of the drive. So, while you won't get the best fuel economy commuting such short distances with a Prius, you'll get even worse with a non-hybrid.

If you're still happy with it, I'd recommend fixing it and continuing to drive it. It will last a LOT longer. If you're tired of it, then I'd say it's smart to fix it and sell it.

Tedh1979 and KQS like this.