1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - A/C not cooling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2006_HK, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Folks,

I have been a lurker on this forum for some time researching this issue. My knowledge of this car has probably shot-up by 500% in the last few months, thanks to PC and its extremely knowledgeable and helpful members.

So, I bought a Prius from my Colleague (trustworthy) this winter. It had 63K miles on the clock and everything seemed fine during my test drive. Unfortunately, I never bothered to check the A/C since I live in the bay area and cooling was not needed at all for the first few months of ownership. On a recent trip, we needed A/C and found that it only blows warm air. I immediately checked on PC and found a lot of people with similar issues. I found a very minor crack (presumably from road debris) to the lower left front bumper of the car. Reading the threads, I thought that something my have punctured the A/C line and so refrigerant has leaked out.

In any case, I took it to the nearest dealer and they determined that there is no leak by reading the manifold gauges. However, they said that my compressor is not working and needs to be replaced. They quoted $1880 for the job with no guarantee that A/C will work afterwards. They said they need the compressor to be running to check if something else is wrong. They also recommended to replace receiver/drier in the condenser. That will be additional $50.

Some characteristics at A/C on Max Speed, LOW temp, 4 doors open:

The pressure in both the high and low side was ~85 psi
    No bubbles/froth/liquid seen in the sight glass
    Both HI/LOW pressure lines are at the same temperature
    Condenser fan runs three times for a short period immediately after starting A/C and then stops
    There is a constant whine as long as the car is on. Don't know if that was compressor whine.
    There is also a click-clack-click-clack noise for about 5 seconds and then stops. Dealer said that was the compressor trying to run.
    No codes

My questions:

1. How do I make sure that compressor indeed needs replacement?
    2. Is the dealer estimate reasonable?
    3. Where can I buy a compressor from a salvaged Prius/Aftermarket?
    4. Isn't this too early in car's life for the compressor to fail?

I do not know the full history of the car so can't be sure if somebody tried to recharge it using the off-the-shelf can but it is unlikely. The car has always been serviced at the Toyota dealers and my colleague was not really a DIY type of person.

Edit: The dealer charged $150 for about 5 minutes of diagnostics and straight up announced that compressor is bad. That is one reason I am skeptical.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The dealer diagnosis appears reasonable, but if you want to be sure you can take your car for a second opinion, perhaps to Luscious Garage in SF or Art's Automotive in Berkeley.
    2. Yes, for a northern CA dealer.
    3. eBay or do a Google search
    4. Yes, but you had some bad luck.

3. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. I am planning to go to Art's Auto for a second opinion. They don't repair with a salvaged compressor though. It looks like the ownership of a hybrid beyond warranty is going to prove to be quite pricey. I am actually surprised since this is a Toyota.

Is this a rare occurrence to imply bad luck? I am seeing multiple threads with A/C issues.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is true that if you have an unwarranted failure and must depend upon dealer service, plan to spend four-digits for any significant repair.

Prius is an extremely complex vehicle that wears a Toyota badge. It is usually quite reliable but be prepared for a big hit to your bank account when the car needs help.

There are a number of AC failures reported here, but the rate appears to be relatively low compared to the failure rate of HID headlights, inverter coolant pumps, and MFD displays.

5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you check if Luscious would?

6. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. I called Luscious yesterday. Apparently, they don't do A/C work in their shop. They have a mobile A/C guy that gets called out to perform the testing. As far as compressor goes, I don't know if they will install a used one. Will have to check on that.

7. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update folks here. I have decided to take the risk and use a salvaged compressor for this replacement (if it is indeed the issue). Luscious can do the install and provided a very reasonable quote. Based on their reputation here, I have no hesitation in going with them. I am currently searching for a low miles compressor with return warranty and will update further when I have more details.

8. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What DTC did the dealer find? If the compressor is bad, a DTC would be logged in most but not all cases, even the the CEL is off. The code would start with B14. It is not always possible to differentiate between the amplifier and the compressor.

9. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. This is my issue/doubt about the diagnosis as well. They did not check for a DTC, at all.

This is what they did: Connect the system to their gauges to find out that it still had a lot of pressure on the low side (indicated in my original post) and concluded that there is no leak. Tried to start-stop the A/C a few times and see if the condenser fan works (it works momentarily three times and then stops). Compressor makes a noise and then stops (this was a really strange noise, I am not sure if it was compressor). Declared that compressor needs to be replaced. Once that is done, they will be able to further diagnose and tell if something else is wrong.

By the way, I have a simple OBD II code reader at home. I bought it in case I ever get a check engine light. Would that be able to read the logged information?

10. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tried using my code reader. The instructions said to plug it in and turn on the ignition to power it up and then press enter to start the scanning process. However, it turned on as soon as I plugged it in the Prius port. It did the whole scanning with the car off. Not sure if this changes anything but it said "NO CODES"after scanning was finished with the car off.

Does the A/C need to be running for the fault codes to be detected?

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most of the time once a code sets it will stick around for a while, however, as far as the air conditioning system in Prii goes, I've noticed that codes will disappear once a problem is no longer noticed. I suggest you scan it with the A/C on and malfunctioning. Also, your fans should be on when the A/C compressor is running. If your fans do not come on, your compressor mat be shutting off due to high pressure in the system.

Also, are you sure your scanner can read A/C codes?

12. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I doubt that your scanner will read A/C codes. You need an Autoenginuity or Techstream. Did the dealer read the codes? I am not an expert on this, but if the amplifier was not driving the motor properly, you could also get strange noises from the motor. If you are going to Lucious Garage, they can read the code to confirm if the compressor needs replacement before they do the actual work. Accoriding to the service manual, most of the codes require testing something else before changing the compressor. I would hate for you to change it and find something else was the root cause of the failure.

13. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know if the code reader can read A/C codes. The manual only lists codes that start with P while I understand that the compressor related codes will start with B. So, probably not.

14. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer did not read the codes.
    I will definitely ask Luscious to confirm the compressor needs to be replaced. Although I have already bought a salvaged one. It is arriving next week so let us see.

15. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would say for sure that if the dealer did not read the codes, the diagnosis is suspect. Did your colleague have the A/C serviced? If they put in the wrong oil, you could have bigger problems then just the compressor. I believe you can trust Lucious, good luck!

16. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am not convinced either.

There is nothing related to A/C in the service history of the car. I can see all the oil changes and recall campaign stuff though so I am assuming it was always taken to the dealer (different one) for servicing.

17. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Hello HK_2006 , Im the mobile A/C guy who only dose air conditioning only and I own a Prius C. for your question
    #1: do you need a condenser ? If a compressor has a electrical short or open in the winding then there is no metal debris produced. If the compressor slowly eats it self up due to low refrigerant charge because oil dose not return to the compressor and there if no cooling effect to the compressor because the refrigerant is low, braking down the oil and burning the electrical winding, then pumped out of the compressor into the condenser. With the internal design of the new high efficiency condenser, the condenser tube become the first filter to catch metal particles, then the smaller one that get by make there way to the dryer sock and the filter screen. What is left over is a fine metal powder like 2000 grit sand paper this is what is mixed with the oil and refrigerant and make it's way to the expansion valve and get injected under high pressure into the evaporator then back to the compressor again.
    I would also highly recommend Luscious Garage in San Francisco, You may have other problems that caused the compressor to go out in the first place, but after the compressor is running then further diagnosis can be preformed.
    If you have your own used compressor I not sure how many shops will want to install it?. no warranty, possible problems, no profit, and a not happy customer if things do not work and have to be charged a second time for labor to do it again. Think of it this way?, if you go to McDonald's and bring your own meat then ask them to cut the price how would they stay open for business, not even to think if the you get food poisoning and other customers from the bad meat makes them look bad. ( just a analogy )
    I you go to my photo album I have many photos of compressors , the inside of the dryer shock and filter screen in the condenser. Tom owner / operator of Lech Auto Air conditioning

Vertex, Avi's advanced Automotive and Patrick Wong all recommended Luscious Garage there it a reason for that. If a Luscious Garage opened up across the street from every Toyota, Toyota Prius customers would leave Toyota. It's hard to find a honest shop and highly skilled!!!.

18. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have changed A/C compressors myslef with used ones. However, I do all the work myself, so if it is no good, I have not lost a lot. I did not have a bad experience however. If I was paying full freight, I would think harder about doing it. I would be more comfortable with a compressor from a lower mileage vehicle, there is less risk.

19. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The salvaged compressor is supposed to be from a 2006 Prius with 103 miles on it. It comes with a 30-day return warranty. Should work but we will see. At this time I am not even sure that the compressor is bad.

20. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Tom,

Thank you for the information and pictures. Helps to visualize things.

Yes, I am heading to Luscious for this repair. Already bought a salvaged compressor with very low miles. Also bought a new drier-receiver as advised by the dealership. If they are not needed, I will just return them.