1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - AC Not Working Suddenly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ydpplqbd, Aug 17, 2021.

1. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if they all say they are really nd-11 supposedly by the letter of the law under description they’re supposed to be that product” supposedly “

be careful of the wording do they say a replacement for or like or similar to compatible with some sort of low life salesman pitch where they like to twist the truth.

One thing is definitely for sure only purchase dielectric high-voltage refrigerant oil that’s in a metal can.

as soon as you use it whatever is left you just dispose of it because it’s no longer any good because as soon as you poured out 3 ounces 3 ounces in volume of atmospheric moist air just went inside you throw the lid back on and the oil gets saturated with all the moisture that’s in the air.

you might wanna look up electric compressors used on Fords that are made by DENSO and then get the DENSO oil with a Ford Motorcraft label on it for that specific compressor and you might find out it’s much cheaper than the small metal cans from Toyota that is DENSO Nd11

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    03242022_motorcraft_YN32.JPG I think the Ford equivalent for ND-11 oil is Motorcraft YN-32 which a little more than $50 for 2oz. See first attached pic which shows Ford hybrid products for which this oil "works." Based on your posting, I then searched ebay for "mercury milano hybrid ac compressor". See secondpic.

According to the second pic's ebay search results, the pictured hybrid ac compressor fits the following vehicles: i.) 2010-12 Ford Escape; ii.) 2010-12 Mercury Milan; and iii.) 2010-12 Ford Escape. These models seem to line up with the first pic's application chart y year and model. IOW, this test seems to indicate that "i", "ii" and "iii" all utilize Denso hybrid AC compressors. And, therefore should be using ND-11 oil (which is specified by Ford as Motorcraft YN-32)

If anyone has further information on whether the Motorcraft YN-32 is indeed acceptable ND-11 oil for my Gen2 Prius then please let me know.

03242022_Ford_Denso_Compressor.JPG

#42 ydpplqbd, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  3. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Motorcraft YN-32 is currently selling for $52 plus sales tax and S&H on Rockauto. See: More Information for MOTORCRAFT YN32 (rockauto.com). Picture of the YN-32 (at the above link) states that the volume is 2 fluid ounces (apparently equivalent to 59ml).

4. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Yep that’s the one you did good detective work reverse engineer and reverse looked up vehicles. Cross-referenced . I believe that’s roughly $100 cheaper than buying it from Toyota. For the same quantity Dhoni differences is the label on the can.

I wonder if you could get the MSDS sheet on all the different oils and compare their specifications and components listed.

as long as there’s none of those special proprietary ingredients that they get the hide on the MSDS sheet that’s another way of looking up chemicals to see if they’re exactly the same

ydpplqbd likes this.
  5. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same thought on Safety Data Sheet ("SDS"). And, I contacted both Mptorcraft and Toyota to requests SDSs for their ND11 products. I should have the SDSs in a couple days. I will post them here when received.

Many thanks on your expert advice and direction.

6. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Motorcraft YN-32 SDS link: Electric A/C Compressor Oil Safety Data | Motorcraft

Apparently, the active ingredient on Motorcraft YN-32 SDS is; 2,6-DI-TERT-BUTYL-P-CRESOL. Based on the SDS, this chemical represents 0.1 to 1.0% of total (weight, volume,???). IOW, the above chemical may not be the most important ingredient (just the most hazardous). It will be interesting to compare to the Toyota SDS for their ND-11 oil.

#46 ydpplqbd, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022