1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Adding AUX Adapter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LeuName, Apr 2, 2018.

1. LeuName

LeuName New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all,

I have a 2006 Prius with the stock radio. I wanted to be able to connect my Android phone to it and after doing some research, I came to the conclusion that the best and cheapest way to do this is to buy an AUX amplifier that connects to the CD changer port on the back of my radio.

Since my car doesn't have a CD changer, the port was empty so I was able to easily connect the AUX amplifier to it. The AUX amplifier turns on (has an LED that lights up), but when I connect my phone to it, there is no sound. Theoretically, if I put my radio on the "CD" option, it should detect the AUX-in line, but in my case it doesn't.

After watching numerous videos, I noticed that some 2006 Prius models have a radio button labeled "CD-AUX", while my car has it labeled as only "CD". I am assuming this is why the AUX adapter is not working on my car.

Now for the interesting part. The back of the radio has two ports side by side. A 20 pin port that had a cable connected to it (which controls the touch screen and several other things from what I've read) and the other (previously) empty port for the CD changer. If I disconnect the 20 pin cable and only leave my AUX adapter connected, the sound playing from my phone can be heard through the speakers whe selecting the "CD" option on my radio! Once I connect the 20 pin cable back, it no longer works and I receive the message "No CD detected" when selecting the "CD" option on the radio. You might ask why I don't just leave the 20 pin cable disconnected then. Well, when this 20 pin cable is disconnected, my touch screen loses a lot of its functionality, including being able to turn ON my air conditioning.

I am assuming that one of the pins on the 20 pin cable is for the CD player and somehow interferes with my AUX adapter. I wouldn't mind not having a working CD player as long as I get the AUX connection to work. I tried finding a diagram for the 20 pin cable to try and figure out which pin I need to disconnect, but I was unable to find a diagram for it.

The attached picture shows the two ports. The one with the cable connected to it is the one for the CD changer where I plugged in my AUX adapter, while the larger port is the 20 pin port I referred to above.

Are there any suggestions to get the AUX to work on my car? Thank a lot in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Kevnnn

Kevnnn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have this same problem too, did you find a solution?

3. LeuName

LeuName New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not yet, but I will make sure to post here if I find one.

4. LeuName

LeuName New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I ended up buying a different adapter (the GTA car kit) and it works great with this one. I simply click on the "CD" button and it detects the audio from my Android phone.

I bought a used one on eBay for $30 so saved myself $60.

BarronrdPri and kenoarto like this.
  5. BarronrdPri

BarronrdPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What was the model you purchased

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. LeuName

LeuName New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can't post links since I have less than 4 posts. Check my next reply below.

7. LeuName

LeuName New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is the one: product/toyota-prius-2004-2009-iphone-aux-kit/

If you can find one used, then even better. They pop up on eBay sometimes.

There's another model that also has bluetooth, but I didn't need bluetooth.

8. LeuName

LeuName New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----