1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius battery warranty CARB State

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by khp, Oct 14, 2011.

1. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sitting at a Toyota dealership in Washington State with a 2006 Prius 107k miles. I am 2nd owner and they are looking at my codes P0A80 ( Replace Hybrid battery) PO3018, PO3019, P0000.

I keep reading on this forum about CARB states and hybrid battery warranty that goes to 150k miles and 10 years. The dealership is telling me that the warranty for the HV battery is only to 100k.

Where can I find the CARB info saying that the hybrid battery in Washington state is covered for 150k or 10 years.
    I don't have the warranty info booklet from the car. I see all these posts with everyone claiming that the hybrid battery is covered but no links to anywhere that proves that.

2. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have also looked at the Toyota site for owners and this is what it says....
    Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

Where I find those details without the booklet? Toyota.com does not have that available for download.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer

Hopefully someone with an 06 booklet can chime in, but keep in mind that the CARB agreement had to be in effect in your state at the time of the car's original purchase date.

If the CARB warranty does not apply, I suggest asking toyota to chip in as a goodwill gesture since the battery died relatively early.

4. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am trying to research the CARB info for Washington state and when it was adopted and not having any luck yet.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Contact the Motor Vehicle Department for the state of Washington. They should be able to furnish you with CARB details and the date it went into effect.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    By the way, was the car bought new in WA ?

Keep in mind that if a new battery is expensive, battery repairs and refurbs through non Toyota sources are options.

7. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it was purchased new in Washington State

8. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh I am already looking for replacement modules for the battery on ebay

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hah ! :rolleyes:

Not if the DMV is anything like my state.

10. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks I'll look there next.

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Vis-a-vis CARB warranty, I think you are out of luck.

For California specification vehicles sold, registered, and operated in California, Connecticut (starting with ’05 MY), Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire (starting with ’05 MY), New Jersey (starting with ’05 MY), New York, Oregon (starting with ’08 MY), Pennsylvania* (starting with ’08 MY), Rhode Island (starting with ’05 MY), and Vermont, this repair is covered under the California Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 180 months or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

If you are replacing modules, buy them from jdenenberg, a user here on Prius chat.

1 person likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have my doubts about that approach. As the batteries sit unused on a shelf they both degrade and lose charge, with subsequent balancing in your pack an ever more challenging exercise.

I suggest instead that you contact seillerts in this forum and ask him for the list of independent hybrid mechanics and battery medics he has compiled. I'm sure you will find folk in WA with good reputations that can fix your car up for much less than a new pack.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking at the Dept of Ecology info it sure looks like the CARB standards for Washington went into effect in 2009. Great......Looks like I have to repair this one if it is the battery.

16. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK I'm back from the Dealership. This is the skinny.
    1. They plugged in their computer and read the codes.
    2. Replaced Inverter coolant pump( no issue just recall)
    3. Washed my car ( yeah!)
    4. Asked about CARB warranty on HV battery. ( No clue about what I was talking about and didn't didn't make any effort to look it up either when I pressed her on it.)

After the reading codes, replacing the inverter coolant pump, and reading the codes for $114.00 this is what she told me.
    1. The codes say the HV battery is bad ( $2899.31)
    Battery computer assy bad ($810.81)
    Hybrid vehicle computer bad($397.29)
    Total with tax $5072.58
    I know that the dealer techs have to follow the rules as far troubleshooting and following Toyota and their t/s trees but the dealerships can do nothing more then troubleshoot by changing everything.

There is no way that all three of these components are bad.

The DTC codes are only telling you that the parameters that the software in the ECM are looking for are not in the range the software is looking for.

I have a mechanical background on heavy equipment( mining and construction) and have worked on many electric drive mining trucks so I will have to repair this myself with the help of all the wealth of knowledge from this forum and it's users.
    I have the diagnostic report print outs and have attached them to this message so maybe you guys who has been to this rodeo before and maybe steer me in the right direction after looking at the data.

I don't like the idea of changing the weak bat module out because I worry about it equalizing with the other modules. Even with regular lead acid batteries that is a bad idea, but the price of the modules may be worth the risk. I have the shop space and most the tools I need.

Anyway thank you to all that have helped me so far with the info about CARB and Washington state. I think it was adopted in 2009 in Washington State so I am SOL on that.
    I just purchased this car about 6 months ago and it has been operating perfect till now.

Attached Files:

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OK, this is voodoo diagnostics, but when you have that many codes, I just have to ask "How new is your 12 volt battery?"

The 12 volt battery powers up the computers so they can run diagnostics. If the 12 volt battery is low, the computers generate odd results. It would be much cheaper to replace the 12 volt ($140 to $200 plus labor) If your Prius is on the original battery, I would look there first.

Somehow it seems unlikely to me that that much failed at once. Here is at least one test you can make with no tools, about 5/6 down the page.
    Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11

Optima has recently released a $200 plus shipping direct fit replacement, elearnaid sells a $170 kit that modifies your battery terminals, and Toyota has a $140 battery that is a direct fit.

If it really is the big battery, there are rebuilt and used choices.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/Parts-Acces....m1583&_vxp=mtr&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=250&_udhi=

The red one would be my choice

18. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been looking at the 12v battery voltage with my scangage before I drive it in the morning and during the day. It has never been below 12 volts after sitting overnight and is at 14 to 13.9 volt driving. I will test it a bit more when I get home.

19. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, that is the BS portion of the estimate.

Contact jdenenberg for modules. Sounds like you need four of them. However, it is unusual to have two blocks go bad at once, so it could be a corrosion/wiring harness issue. You'll know more when you take things apart and get in to it.

20. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm suspecting a wiring/corrosion issue also. I have been watching the MFD battery SOC bars and it has been acting differently since this problem. It is running a lot more in the highest green level than ever before and then it goes to the purple one bar mode and back up into the green area very quickly. I don't think the battery can change SOC that quick. It never was bouncing from one extreme to the next and recovering that fast. It sure acts like corrosion and connection issues and it is probably in the battery module connections.