1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Brake Actuator Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by obstructedview, Nov 21, 2016.

1. obstructedview

obstructedview New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello All,

So about a month ago I got into an accident as a bicyclist (Travelling very fast) hit into the side of my car at an intersection. He caused a couple thousand dollars of auto body damage to the car. Thankfully he was okay just a few minor injuries.

When I got the car back I noticed a really loud buzzing noise coming from the passenger side. Now, I am used to the noise the braking system makes but this was 10x louder and sounded really bad. At first I wasn't sure what it was and it didn't happen that often however, in the past week the noise is occurring all the time. I just got back from driving it and put the car into park. The loud buzzing noise kept happening every 10 seconds or so and lasted 5-10 seconds. I sat there for a few minutes and the pattern continued.

This is starting to concern me. Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Do you think the actuator needs to be replaced? Am I running the risk of having a brake failure and a serious accident by continuing to drive the car? I plan on taking it back to the repair shop and show them however I am 1) Afraid they are going to say it is not accident related and 2) They are not a Toyota dealer so I doubt they will have much knowledge on the issue. Thank you for any and all input;

2. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What i should do in your situation...
    Get it on a Computer Techstream, and look for any trouble codes. If there is something wrong, the car must throw a code in 95% of the times

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! why wouldn't you go back to the repair shoppe?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Talk with the repair shop and see if they would be amenable to footing the bill for a Toyota dealership to check for codes, the aforementioned Techstream hookup? It should be under $100, maybe lower rate for them?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What area of the car was impacted in the accident?
    2. The brake actuator pump is located on the firewall near the center.
    3. Are any warning lights on? If no lights are on, then no fault codes will have been logged, and you are not running an unusual risk of a brake system failure.
    4. I suggest you open the hood so that you can try to localize the source of the noise.
    5. See if it matters whether the air conditioner is on or not.