1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius center air vents cracked??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by deepblu, Dec 20, 2017.

1. deepblu

deepblu New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Background:
    I have a 2006 prius with almost 220K miles on it. I recently had it serviced at the local toyota dealer because I had an incident where the check engine light after I pulled over to investigate a noise coming from the rear. It sounded like it was coming from the battery vent and when I tried to restart the check engine light came on and it was disabled... anyway after an hour or so when the tow truck arrived I pushed the button to engage expecting it to roll backwards but everything came to life... so I had it towed in to have the "code" checked to so what was going on. The dealer said there was no code showing up and after 2 hours of investigating said my problem was the combo meter.... I had been having issues with it and just living with it using cell phone app for speedometer since it was intermittent.. Also perplexed as to why no code thrown or why there was a noise from the back.
    OK, so I let them replace the meter... it was getting annoying since the cruise did not work at times..

Now, to the issue..
    After getting the vehicle back I noticed that the passenger center air vent was cracked on the top edge... and someone had tried using glue to piece it back together. You could see something shiny in the cracks. I went back to the dealer to complain that they had broken it and not told me and the rep said the person who worked on it was not there but said they didn't do it... problem is that I didn't do it and someone tried gluing it and they had just replace the combo meter which I believe requires the top part of the dash to come out..
    So, just had them replace the passenger side vent and the rep came to tell me that they did not replace the drivers side... The tech said it was worse than the passenger side and wanted to make sure they had ordered the right part... The issue here is that last night I had cleaned the inside windshield and had wiped off the dash... It was not cracked (broke into 3 pieces) last night when I cleaned it and drove it 12 miles to the dealer. I said I hadn't noticed it before... The tech said this was a "common" problem with the prius ... the sun causes the plastic to crack and the dash flexes making it work... Odd, this is a 2 inch wide piece of plastic that doesn't seem like there'd be any flexing on...
    So my question (finally) is: Are there other Prius owners that have seen this type of issues with the vents cracking into multiple pieces. I'm having a hard time believing these vents cracked all by themselves especially the driver side vent that just happened to crack this morning.. Maybe this is a problem with the air vents but it seems "odd" that that 2 vents broke within the past 4 weeks....Anyone else had this happen or know someone else who has had this issue. They didn't want to replace the passenger side vent and I'm very suspicious about the driver side vent after how this has been handled by the local dealer here.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No problems with cracking vents on our 2005 here in Chicago. And I abuse one of the vents, to mount my phone.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    very hot and sunny in az, that maybe the problem. some folks use windshield shades or dash protectors.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That Center vent is notoriously fragile. And most likely broke when they replace the combo meter

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always use a sunshade in the summer.

6. deepblu

deepblu New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Arkansas doesn't get as hot as Arizona and probably not as much sun either.. I suspect they broke the passenger side when they replaced the combo meter when they took off part of the dash to reach it... The 2nd vent wasn't broke last night when I cleaned the dash... Odd coincidence that the dealer noticed it was broke this am when finished with the other side.... So waiting to see if anyone says these things crack/break all by themselves...

bisco likes this.
  7. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    AR = Arkansas, not quite as hot as AZ in the summer.(y)

Too slow, I see.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i knew that.:oops:

davecook89t likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They don't break by themselves, it breaks when you remove them to replace the combo meter. Seen it many times. In fact I have done it myself

10. deepblu

deepblu New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMG_20171210_113914.jpg IMG_20171220_135659.jpg
    I wouldn't think so... but according to the toyota mech, these cracks were caused by the sun..
    and this is what the drivers side looked like after they replaced the passenger side...

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He took them off (easy way to beak them) or he put them somewhere and put weight on them (sat on them). Another possibility is he didn't know how to remove them and pry the wrong area. Just very careless person working on your car.

It's 100% not caused by the sun

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say that they can break on their own, but i don't recall reading about (m)any. i think the mech was more than careless.

kenoarto likes this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I'll add my $0.02 worth to say more likely happened when being removed. I would be leaning to no way did they crack like that by themselves from sitting in the sun. Furthermore, if they were already cracked like the, you definitely would have noticed. Sitting in the sun might have made them brittle, but they were cracked/broken when removed. Whether this is carelessness or not would be a harder call, as in, it may be impossible to remove them without breaking them due to their brittleness. Your call to argue it out, but if the dealership cared at all about its reputation and had a customer focused ethos, it would just suck it up and replace them at their cost without any argument. They, after all, were not like that before they worked on it.

Call it an expensive learning moment for them.

kenoarto likes this.