1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 prius, certified used from dealer.. should i have to shed another 2500 for 8 year/125k covrerag

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rgrajanin, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 prius, certified used from dealer.. should i have to shed another 2500 for 8 year/125k covrerage which would end in September 2014??
    The other option is 100k/8 years for 2000$ and both are bumper to bumper (Platinum coverage)!

Any help would be appreciated... :)

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More information would be appreciated too before advising you with regard to extended warranties.;)

How many miles on the car?
    What is the dealers sales price?
    Has the car been serviced regularly as per Toyota's recommendations?
    Clean Carfax?
    Certified used should have the factory warranty and some additional time/mileage - what is it?

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every extended warranty (NON Toyota) that I researched did not cover many of the significant hybrid vehicle components that you'd want covered anyways to make the warranty worthwhile.

4. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    jadziasman

Thanks for response.
    I bought for 12200 before tax with a mileage of 74300 on it. It has been serviced with the dealer throughout. It has clean carfax. Factory warranty is there until 9/2013 and battery until 8 years which would be 2014 september.
    Certified vehicle has 1 year limited warranty with 12k miles until sep 2013. I will be using this car on highways mostly 400 miles on highways and 100miles on city every week. So it would be around 500miles per week and around 15-18000 miles per year.

5. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it were me I'd pass on the warranty and put that money aside for potential future repairs. It sounds like the extended warranty doesn't add much to what you're already getting.

grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan

xpcman and usnavystgc like this.
  6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with Tim and that was my experience.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say the same. Plus I think the price was a bit too much for a car with that much mileage. I bought one with 55000 miles for $10500.

8. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it certified pre owned? May be in metro cities like boston it is cheaper..

9. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sound really good. But......if you drive 500 miles per week how did you figure only 15-18K miles per year? It's more like 25K miles. You must have a lot of vacation time -lol.

Considering the relatively low number of miles and regular maintenance, it's generally safe to conclude that you wouldn't need an extended warranty. However, Prii driven in hot or hilly climates take a toll on the HV battery and inverter since each is stressed more heavily than a Prius driven on flat terrain in a temperate climate.

I didn't buy an extended warranty on my 05 because it already had too many miles on it when I bought it (134K miles). My car has only been driven primarily in NW Indiana and SE Michigan during that time. The HV battery appears to be going strong (you can never be sure though).

I have driven almost 50K miles in two years and have had no issues with it other than the HID headlight leveling sensor I repaired myself (more than once) and the HV electric water pump replaced under the A0N LSC.

So if you aren't living in the desert southwest or in the Rockies, Appalachia, Cascades, Sierra Nevada, etc. you probably won't need an extended warranty.

As others have pointed out already, who knows what the extended warranty will cover. Stealerships are notorious for making ABSOLUTELY sure they will be reimbursed before starting any major repair.

10. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for your tips/ suggestions. I am still having TPMS issue and taking to dealer today. (again!!).. I am from Ohio..

I visit my family 200miles away every weekend... :) no vacation, just weekend travel... :(