1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Changed Battery 3/8/13 Today Warning Lights came on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Valencia Orange, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2006 Toyota Prius 93000 miles

On 3/8/13 my Prius would not start. I read some information online and came to the conclusion I needed a new battery.

I went to the Toyota Dealer, spent $207.00 for a new battery, and installed it myself.
    I watched an online video on how to replace the battery, took my time, and did everything according to the video.

I started the car, and it immediately started up. I drove it for a very short time and parked it in the garage.

Today I started the car and drove it for about 5 minutes to a restaurant. I did some shopping and about 3 hours later I started the car and A Big Red Triangle appeared along with a yellow circle with an explanation point in the center and the check engine light.

I immediately drove it to the Toyota Dealer 5 blocks away, and they told me it would cost me $105.00 for them to check it out on Monday.

I am wondering what could be wrong. Could it be the battery I replaced? Could it be the Toyota dealership sold me a battery that was not charged? I know there are many reasons the light could come up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that your skid control ECU may need to be replaced.

3. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Problem Solved

I just received a call from the Toyota dealer and they advised me I needed a new hybrid battery. The work has been approved by Toyota and they are doing the work right now under warranty.

The service rep told me I should have the fluid that circulates around the hybrid battery (I had no idea what he was talking about) replaced. He said the charge was $129.00. I said do it.

He also told me I needed my anti freeze replaced $89.00. I said just do it.

The car has 93000 miles, and I do not know the codes that the mechanic read.

I am surprised the hybrid battery went so fast. The car has always been serviced by Toyota. The car has freeway miles, but in California a 30 mile trip in the morning and evening has continuous starts and stops on the freeway. The car is always garaged at night.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no fluid circulating round the hybrid battery, but there is coolant (antifreeze) that cools the hybrid inverter and transmission. This fluid is separate to the engine antifreeze but is the same type. This coolant should be replaced at 100,000 miles and then every 50,000 miles. Your car is close to the 100,000 mile mark so probably reasonable to change now, but make sure they do not try to change it again at 100,000 mile service. The cost at well over $200 seems very high.

John (Britprius)