1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius died on the freeway???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mpap 5, Aug 8, 2012.

1. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My master warnIng lIght came on In my car.I took my car into Hooman Toyota in Long Beach, California. They did a diagnostic test and performed their MPI WORLD CLASS INSPECTION. While I was getting it tested they said the invert water pump was under recall. No biggie. Nothing was found in the diagnostic and the recall was fixed. Two days later I took my car to Palms Springs. While I was driving out there the master warning light came on. I started to lose power but it seemed like the computer would reset and it would be ok for about 15 minutes. I even lost power in the engine. I finally made it out there and figured it just needed to rest. 6 hours later I took off for home. 10 minutes into it the lights on the dashboard came on. The car lost all power and I was stranded off the freeway. My battery was down to 1 bar. I left it there overnight and had it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. They said I need a new battery and that theirs bad gas. They wanted to replace the fuel tank. I replaced the battery for $427.The next day they said that wasn't it and was going to continue searching. I ended up towing it to my mechanic. He said there was no coolant and the headers are blown. He said I was better off getting a new engine. Let me take you back two days when that WORLD CLASS MPI INSPECTION was done. There was an 8 page report specifying what was passed on the inspection. The battery, coolant levels along with other fluids passed. Not to mention hoses and clamps and about 30 other things. I feel something was missed in that WORLD CLASS INSPECTION. I feel they are responsible for the car ending up the way it was. Has anyone gone through this? The kicker is Hooman want to charge $338 to take apart the engine and see what's wrong.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope, but it sounds like these guys are parts throwers.

12 volt battery replacement isn't cheap but $427 is a ripoff. Sure, it's possible there could've been a bad tank of gas, but to replace the tank? What's the cause of the coolant loss?

3. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That was including labor for the battery. The loss of the coolant is not for sure. They want to take apart the engine and find out for over $300. The fuel issue was with another Toyota dealer but later said that wasn't it.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $427 for parts and labor for a 12 volt is still a ripoff. Part should be <$200. (Per New 12v Battery, Part #28800-21171 | Page 3 | PriusChat, it was ~$138 last year, after some weird pricing snafu.) It doesn't take that long for someone who's done it before.

It would be super helpful to post the codes (aka DTCs) that were retrieved. Otherwise, it's just guesses other than the obvious stuff that needs no codes (e.g. no coolant).

SFO likes this.
  5. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll look into it. Thanks

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you mean the "head" is blown (as in blown head gasket)?

Also, was it the engine coolant or the inverter coolant that was low?

Lack of engine coolant can definitely cook the heads, cause them to warp and blow the head gasket. I'm not totally familiar with all the warning lights (lucky enough not to have any yet) but I'm pretty sure you should have got a "thermometer" icon along with the master warning light if it was overheating. Did you see anything other than the master warning light?

7. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was like 4th of July on the dashboard. Every light that went on, came on. I'm just pissed because 2 days prior they ran that WORLD CLASS inspection and it checks everything. battery, fluId leves, belts, clamps and everything else. Something was wrong with my car when I brought it in and I feel they missed something.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The initial symptome you describe are classic to a failed inverter pump. The system/inverter will run fine when cold/initial 10 minutes or so then the inverter heats up and shuts off (lights everywhere). You turn the car off and let it sit, the inverter cools off and everything is fine until it heats back up and the process repeats.

It seems the car may have also been run with no or little engine coolant at the same time causing a blown head gasket or header gasket (aka exhaust manifold). It is important to know which one is really blown. To me, when you say header, that is the exhaust manifold gasket. That is a problem and a pain to fix but it is not nearly as bad as a "head gasket" blown. If a header gasket is blown, the engine will be very loud but, it should run ok. If its a "head gasket", the oil will appear milky colored (normally but not always) or, the engine will either not run or run rough with low power. Either one is not good but if it is indeed the header gasket, you shouldn't need a whole new engine.

stackcheese likes this.
  9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I agree. It sounds like they didn't bleed all the air out of the inverter coolant loop or otherwise messed up that pump change in some way. Strange to have a seemingly unrelated overheating issue in the engine at the same time though?

I guess that this thread shows that having a recent "World Class" inspection doesn't necessarily give you the green light to ignore all dash warnings though. :whistle:

I agree with OP that their "World Class" inspection probably wasn't all that great. Probably neither was their job on the inverter pump replacement.

10. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm paying them $300 today to break down the engine and find out what happened. They say it usually cost around $700 to do that job. I'll see what happens.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll be interested to know what they find out. :)

BTW. Is it the Toyota dealer or your independent mechanic that's pulling it down?

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm - if you believe that the dealer tech botched the WORLD CLASS INSPECTION, why are you returning to the same dealer to see what is wrong?

Do you believe that the service department will admit that their tech's action (or lack of action) resulted in a four-digit repair bill?

13. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whoa, I'd see if you can stop them ASAP. There is no need to tear the engine down in my opinion. A simple leak down test would confirm a leaking head gasket in which I would recommend a used replacement if it were coming out of you pocket.

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mpap,
    (insert big red flag here)
    Avi knows what he's talking about.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Do I understand it correctly that the dealer checked for external leaks, found none, and then suggested engine tear down to look for internal leaks (there may be other ways to find out as suggested above)?

usnavystgc likes this.
  16. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's at the original dealer who did the diagnostic, word class inspection and the recall on the hose. They had it towed from my mechanic. I spent $175 to have it towed from Longo Toyota to my mechanic. My car has been sitting there for two weeks. I opened up a case with corporate to have this mess noted.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Lord, get it away from those idiots and over to someone who knows what they're doing.

cwerdna and usnavystgc like this.
  18. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's the lates from Hooman Toyota in their e-mail they sent me....Found coolant pipe at rear of head had come out causing engine to lose all coolant and overheat engine, hose attached to that pipe is from coolant flow control valve. After reinstalling pipe to rear of cylinder head and adding
    fluid, tried to pressure test engine still not holding pressure. Removed spark plugs found cylinders full of coolant most probable cause blown head gasket. Most likely major internal damage would be found if engine
    disassembled. Used engine found 90 day warranty on part only.$3525.00+tax installed.

19. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm currently dealing with corporate now and they told me don't have any contact with the dealer. They're having the district manager get involved now. I should know more by Mon or Tue. I will never buy or take anything to Hooman Toyota again!!!

20. mpap 5

mpap 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you please read the rest of my thread and give your opinion on what the dealer found? Thanks