1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius error codes 3190 P0171 P0420

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Redrockmommy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Redrockmommy

Redrockmommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi everyone. I am completely new to posting on any sort of forum so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. I own a 2006 prius with 168,000 miles. I just purchased it in April from a mechanic who had recently installed a refurbished battery. I was driving on the interstate a few months later when all my lights came on (check engine, mantainence required, Red triangle, hybrid battery). The car would still start and run but only at low speeds and had very little power. I had it towed back to the mechanic I purchased it from and he replaced the battery again, since it was under warranty. When I got the car back I took it in for an oil change because it was about 400 miles over due . An oversight on my part. They told me my oil was "below stick" and that they couldn't be responsible for any damage that may have occurred to the engine. I was surprised the oil was so low since I hadn't driven it that many miles over what was recommended. There has been no smoke or strange smells coming from the car. It drove fine around town but the next time I took it on a long interstate trip (5 hours each way), it broke down again on the way home. This time the lights all came on and the car wouldn't start back up or shift out of N. I again had it towed back to the guy I bought it from, thinking it was a faulty battery again. When he looked at it the following day, it started fine and all the warning lights were off. He hooked it up to his scanner and got a 3190 low power code. My husband and I went and drove it around a bit and the check engine light came back on so we decided to take it to autozone and scan it there. It came up with a P0171. I drove it the following day and the check engine light came back on for a bit and then went off again. I took it back to the mechanic I bought it from to let him trouble shoot it a bit. He scanned it again and it came back with a P0420 code. Something with the catylitic converter! He doesn't seem too comfortable diagnosing this for me and I know if I take it to Toyota they will tell me the converter needs to be replaced. I am hoping it might be something simpler than that. I am posting here to get any feedback or suggestions that I can take into another local mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to start with cleaning the throttle body and the MAF (mass air flow sensor. So up the oil that has pooled in the intake while you are in there.

Make sure you have a good air filter as well.

You can use carb cleaner for the throttle body. But be sure to use MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF sensor.

Try these things and then report back.

After these things you could could try replacing the MAF with a good one. (not done piece of garbage non-American one).

If you have misfire codes you could also check the condition of the spark plugs and reply as needed.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you. I will start there.

4. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Okay, I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. The air filter looked good. The check engine light went off and stayed off for over 200 miles. I was hopeful that I had solved the problem but unfortunately it came back on today. It only stayed on for 3 drive cycles with a total of 13 miles. I don't smell anything strange from the car and it seems to run fine. I am averaging 53 miles per gallon. I do sometimes feel like the RPMs are a bit high when accelerating. I guess I could replace the MAF sensor but wouldn't I have seen a code for that? I am assuming the code today is the 0420 catalytic converter below threshhold but I haven't gone in to have it scanned yet. Could it be the I2 sensors? Is there a way to check that from home?

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    your car is 12 years old and burning a lot of oil (if its below the stick the guy you bought it from clearly knew its worn out) and its clogging the cat convert.. no point replacing it the motor needs to be rebuilt... you will only destroy the new cat.. demand your money back or sell it but don't waste more money on it.. its not worth the cost of a rebuild and a used motor will have the same problems.. sorry but he screwed you. you said hes not comfortable diagnosing the car tells me he isn't much of a mechanic .. the gas engine side of the car is the same as any other car made.

#5 Beachbummm, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  6. Redrockmommy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If the car is burning oil wouldn't I smell it? Sorry if that sounds ignorant but I have a very limited knowledge of cars. I love the car but....you are right in that I don't want to waste my money on a lemon. I was really hoping there might be a legit fix so that I could keep the car.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    no you would not always smell it,you might see smoke from the tailpipe but not always. take a paper towel and run it around the inside of the tailpipe if it has a black residue on it, the car is burning oil... if you dont see it leaking out of the car the only other place is out the exhaust, these motors start burning oil in the low 100,000 mile range.. you can read dozens of posts here about it.. some burn a quart every 3 to 600 miles.. so the money you save in gas you waste in oil or if you dont check it weekly you will burn up the motor. your best bet is try to get your money back from the seller.. your motor will need new rings, head gasket, ect, ect, ect..then you have the other expensive problems to look forward too, ABS pump $3400, AC compressor $1800, digital dash dying $1000 its just not worth it.. old prius' are ok if you can do the work yourself if not a lot of cars today get near 40 mpg so they are the better deal. cheaper repairs and any shop can work on them.. btw all of the over the counter additives dont work so dont waste your money on them either, there is no magic solution, the motor is just worn out.

#7 Beachbummm, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most of Priuses don’t start burning oil that early. And likelihood of those problems is pretty small and they shouldn’t cost that much to fix especially if you can use cheaper shop and maybe even used parts. And no matter what car you end up getting there’s always a change that something will break.

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my 2008 has 157,000 miles goes through a quart and a half between changes..(I change between 3500 miles and 4000)
    major repairs to date include
    ABS actuator ($3400 but fixed under extended warrantee)
    rebuilt HV battery pack due to 2 leaking modules (rebuilt myself about 15 months ago)
    digital dash failed (Not covered under extended warrantee, happened 10 weeks past cut off date) bought used one from salvage yard, replaced myself... dealer well over $1000
    inverter cooling pump (recall item)
    HID ballast
    4th 12 volt battery
    the car has not been abused just normal daily use..
    so if you are not having problem you will sooner or later

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Study with one test subject just isn’t nearly enough to draw the conclusions. And for the posts from people having problems in their Prius you have to remember that people how don’t have problems don’t post about that. And people how don’t have problems are less likely to even be on forum like this.

And to fix these possible problems you could go to some other shop that could then even use used parts. That would get the prize a lot lower.

And anyways the real question is the cost difference of driving with a used (gen 2) Prius or some other car for the same prize (and other qualifying factors (like space)).

11. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the bottom line is the repairs on an older prius done by a qualified mechanic with new parts far exceeds the money saved on fuel of a regular car of the same size year and miles.in most cases it exceeds the market value of the car itself. I was ready to scrap mine when the ABS problems started and the dealer gave me a hard time on the free repair , my cars value is less then the $3400 they spent to fix it, I asked what they would give me on trade in and they said $2400 AFTER the repair.a used car is worth "$X" no matter whats been done to it, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.. book value means nothing..so when the repairs cost more then 50% of what I see the cars selling for I dump them, its just a car

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When a car needs major repairs there may be no trade in value.

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Theoretically ABS-pump could brake on any car and the amount of work would be pretty much the same. Or some other part. Why is it so much more expensive to fix the Prius?

But yes to me 2400$ just sound amazingly low value for less than 10 year old car.