1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - Error codes: P0301/P0302/P0303/P0304

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by atineb, Sep 3, 2014.

1. atineb

atineb New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    147324 Miles. I took it to Toyota for a diagnostic and the error codes are reading cylinder misfire. They said that they want to change the spark plugs, ignition coils, and do a compression test for a total of approx $800. They said after the compression test, they will be able to say if the engine is bad. They also said that there was no coolant in my car. Am I suppose to be adding this to the car often?

Any advice?

Should I go through with this at Toyota or take it to a mechanic to just change the sparks and ignition coils

#1 atineb, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! :eek: almost a million and a half miles? you should retire it to the toyota museum!(y)

3. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, coolant loop is sealed.....I'd check the ICE waterpump; it will weep when it's worn out. Look for pink stains around the waterpump.

I'd deal with the coolant leak first to see if it's contributing to the misfire.

Faz

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Often, no. It is something that needs to be checked regularly, just as with every car. Look for signs of leaking around the engine coolant pump shaft (pink deposits). First thing to do is get the coolant back in the system, and make sure the pump is OK.
    Any mechanic can change the plugs. They are overdue for replacement. If that does not fix things, then look into changing the ignitors.

5. atineb

atineb New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha oops. Edited

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dang!:p might be cheaper to save the $800. and have a mechanic throw in a salvaged ice.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your engine coolant was low then the engine was probably damaged permanently. You should confirm whether this is the case by having the compression test done first, prior to replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils. There is no point in replacing those parts if the engine is dead.

In case you didn't get the message yet, you need to periodically check the engine coolant level at the radiator and look for antifreeze leaking at the engine coolant pump. For that matter all engine compartment fluids need to be checked regularly.

8. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad not everyone has a 300,000 flawless performance out of their Prius engine. I saw a replacement engine on eBay for $600

iPhone ?