1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 prius firing order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ca713, May 8, 2017.

1. Ca713

Ca713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all,
    Changing the spark plugs to hopefully resolve p0300 p0301 p0302. 12v has already been replaced as have ignition coils. Question is for p0302, obviously "cylinder 2" but since firing order is 1 3 4 2 is it cylinder 3 or cylinder 2 from left to right? Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cylinder 1 is closest to the passenger fender and the cylinders are numbered in order, with 4 next to the inverter.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like Patrick Wong said. Cylinders are always numbered in order (in all engines).

If the misfire problem didn’t stay the same while changing the coils recheck by just swapping coils as new (especially aftermarket) coils can have problems in them. If you have compression gauge and techstream software you can do compression measurement while changing plugs. If compression is good you’re (pretty much) only left with fuel injectors or wiring.

4. Ca713

Ca713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wasn't clear enough with the first post. My question is since the firing order is different from the order from left to right, is the second cylinder that fires the one that needs replacing, (cylinder 3) or the second from left?(cylinder 2)

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't understand your question.

From the front of the engine where there is a belt and a water pump it goes cylinder 1-2-3-4. Cylinder #1 is at the front of the engine.
    The firing order is meaningless when your chasing misfires. Btw, a misfire that moves around is sometimes because of mechanical damage caused by lack of oil. If the car ever ran so low on oil it threw a check engine light you have most likely blown the bottom end usually the piston rod bearing goes first. Or if the engine has spent its life with chronically low oil levels especially if its a "dealer" maintained oil change's
    car.

You can tell by putting the car in Inspection mode so the engine runs continuously and get under the front of the engine and listen for bad sounds like thumping and banging which is failed main bearings.

6. Ca713

Ca713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok all 4 spark plugs were replaced, oil is halfway full, took it for a quick drive and red exclamation point inside car silhouette (turtle mode) light is still on along with red triangle exclamation point and check engine light. Loud bumping thumping noise stopped once oil was put in car. So so far we have gotten a new 12v battery and new ignition coils as well and the only difference is now that the spark plugs have been changed it is slightly less hesitant on acceleration but still slow. Will have my friend with diagnostic tool check codes in the next couple days but since very little has changed im becoming disheartened haha.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The loud bumping thumping noise was what I was referring to in the post right above yours. Apparently you didn't read it. There is no code thrown when mechanical damage is in the bottom end specifically the piston rod bearings. It creates alot of sub harmonic vibration that distort the pulses read from the the crank and cam sensor and expected power from that cylinder is not seen so it throws a misfire. That moves around.

You ran the car dry of oil and now the motor is toast. Oh I know its dealer maintained. But if you keep driving it piston #3 will try to escape out the side of the block. Its always #3 for some reason.

8. Ca713

Ca713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Haha. I read it. I also mentioned the noise had stopped after putting more oil in. So piston is still shot even if it is silent? Thanks so much for your kind attitude by the way