1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius front end creaking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Todd Cox, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Todd Cox

Todd Cox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I recently started hearing a creaking noise from the front end of my 2006 Prius. It only happens after the engine run for at least 10 minutes (driving or stationary). I hear the noise when I start and stop at low speeds (less than 10 mph) and when I exit the vehicle after driving. I can replicate the noise by rocking the vehicle forward and aft. I put the front end up on jacks and turned the wheels, no noise.
    30 minutes after the vehicle is turned off, I can't replicate the noise. As far as I can tell, it is triggered by heat from the engine because it will happen if the vehicle just sits and idles. Any ideas? Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe an exhaust heat shield?

3. Todd Cox

Todd Cox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does sound like thin metal creaking. That may be it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll need to get underneath, or better yet, a lift

5. yello_downunder

yello_downunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If my car is in Park and I rock it back and forth, I can hear a mild creaking noise. I think in my case there are bushings that are going bad, either in the suspension or in the motor mounts.

If I had to describe it, it sounds almost like the sound that leather makes when it creaks. I'm not sure if this describes what you are experiencing.