1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius front end noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by clifford, Nov 27, 2012.

1. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok it is a done deal. Qbee-42 you were right and I thank you. Even though my normal, non Toyota mechanic said it did not sound like wheel bearings.
    The dealer also said it needed the hub either now or in the near future. So bearings and hub. 250. for the bearings and hub and 350. for 3 hours book labor. My backyard mechanic is sure cheaper. It is done.
    Thanks

2. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting....
    I've been having front end noise, but only occasionally, and more when turning. Was yours a constant noise, something repeatable if you turned a certain way, or inconsistent? I was thinking that maybe the PS pump bearing is going, or, like you, I was wondering if the steering shaft extension recall had any effect. Now I guess I should consider wheel bearings or hubs or maybe the CV joint. I haven't raised the car yet to see how much play there is

I'm planning on taking it in for the steering shaft extension, now that I know about it, since we've been parallel parking a lot over the last 35,000 miles, and I haven't a clue how it was treated for the first 100,000. I'd like to get an idea of what to ask them to look at (carefully) while they inspect the steering shaft extension / rack for cracks.

3. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually the it sounds like your noises are similar to mine. While they have the car ask them to check the front wheel bearings. The noise was much louder to them on the rack then me in the car and going down the road.
    The frustrating part to me was the noise was not constant but the dealer found that it was making plenty of noise on the rack.
    good luck

4. woozlewrangler

woozlewrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This matches what my 2011's noise sounds like (around the front left.... though I've only sat in that seat), only turning makes no difference. It has 28K on it and qualified for warranty, so I had it checked at Toyota in Vegas. They thought I was hearing tire noise. A while later a more senior mechanic jumped in and said it was the very start of a seized bearing. Rotor, bearing and nut swapped on the front left. I took it home and still heard the noise. Took it back to Toyota. They humored me & put it up for a once over, then suggested that they put the same make of tire from another Prius on their lot, drive it around, and see if the noise was there. They swapped the front two tires.

It was. So, they looked it over for hours, then decided it was the right front bearings. Those too were swapped. I picked it up, drove it off and the noise is still there.

I only noticed the noise after being on a stretch of gravel road the other weekend.... though it may have been there before that & I only tuned into it, checking to ensure the gravel spray didn't mess with anything underneath. Can tires abruptly cause a noise increase at 30K? Tread depth is still within limits.

Further detail: I only notice the noise between 10mph and 50 or 60mph. Same 'sound' as OP. I have two weeks to figure out what this is before I have to cancel my extended warranty coverage, as it's only valid in North America & I'm bringing my Prius with me to Europe.

5. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2006 Prius with ~ 189K miles. I also began to hear this sound in the front end about 175K miles and it's getting louder. I have thought it it might be a wheel bearing and/or hub but haven't had it diagnosed yet and in all honesty, am a bit leery taking it to my dealer after ahving an issue I should have reported here and may still do so but I digress.
    So it's been over a year since this thread had any activity but can I ask if the "Wheel Bearing" is the root-cause or ???
    Thanks in advanced,
    YBLee
    SE Mass

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the sound change with speed and/or turning?

7. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thx for the replay. I haven't noticed a change with turning but will check it out tonight but it does increase with speed.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the bearings. the other thing is the constant velocity joint. i'd have a mech pull the wheels for a closer look.

9. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds good Bisco, thx for the help!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: