1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius help on HV problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sharnold, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a 2006 come in with the typical HV replacement codes including P0A80 and P3015 the owner bought a used HV from a salvage yard when I recieved the used unit half the case was taken apart and I had to take cover bolts and nuts off the old battery and put them on it. Now here is where it gets interesting the car cranks and shows charge on the HV but after driving the car it goes into limp mode sputters and accelerates then slows down can't get no kind of steady acceleration and had to limp the car back with the emergency flashers on. Here's the new codes list
    P3016
    P3030
    P0A80
    P0A78
    P0AC0
    P3015
    P0301
    Now take into consideration the car was drivable before this fiasco now it's a dead stick I'm figuring I'm going to have to pull the HV again and check the harness and all connections.

#1 Sharnold, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm a bit unclear about when it was driveable.
    They drove it to your shop with it half taken apart, right? And at that time it was perfect with no codes?
    That would be hard to believe if they went any distance.

P3015 and P3016 says portions of the battery is damaged or has bad wiring. (As well as the P0A80)

Could also have damage or issues with the battery ECU or current sensor if I'm remembering P0AC0 correctly.

You've got some work to do.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk.

3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The owner of the car dropped the car off driving it with the original HV battery and 2 codes P0A80 and P3015 then he purchased and brought me the other used salvaged HV battery the car could be cleared and drove previously but now with this salvaged battery its pulling all those codes. I'm guessing it's a faulty harness issue where the salvage yard banged it around

4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "...car could be cleared and drove..."
    How long?
    For a day? A week? A month?
    If it was a short time, then it sounds like the other salvaged battery is junk.

It has bad modules.

Or bad wiring.

Or a bad computer.

Or all of the above.

5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the previous battery it would be drivable after clearing the codes while driving it the triangle and check engine would come on the car could drive till you shut it off then you would have to clear the codes again to start it. But with the previous battery it never had all these codes

6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are we talking driving it for months at a time before lights would come on? Just a couple days?

7. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The old battery would only drive around 2 miles before it would throw the lights on it would allow you to keep driving it until you cut the car off then it would not restart until you cleared the codes

8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the battery, wiring, or computer is damaged on both packs.
    The customer is driving with a damaged part in their car.
    The car will act unpredictably until fixed.

The car could be damaged even more if it keeps being driven with a bad pack.

Time to figure out what is wrong with the packs if you want to fix them. It will take several hours of diagnostic time, parts ordering, dismantling, reassembling, testing, etc

(Or throw in the towel and spend the big bucks for a NEW battery pack?)

9. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I might give you a call later I have actually rebuilt these HV packs before

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be happy to chat. If you have rebuilt them, then you'll be able to figure it out. Methodically go through it. If you have a free basic diagnostic tools it helps. If you have some chargers it helps.
    Still got to spend the time and figure out how much to charge the customer.

So hard if they are looking for a cheap fix.

11. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They always look for cheap fix that's why he went to a Salvage yard and paid 600 for this one with no warranty instead of me ordering one

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Testing new and used parts before installation is generally a smart idea, unless the customer is paying for every turn of your wrench :whistle:

Someone must be loving that salvage yards business model :cool:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but to be honest I've had good luck with salvage yard traction batteries but I'm also the one who removed them

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I concur and without a warranty his ideology of this was to save money but in the long run I'll be either rebuilding this one from both batteries or he'll be buying another....... also guys I changed one the other night that the owners son had been playing with do not ever put the car in drive and brake torque the engine to charge the traction battery

Attached Files:

16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your statement and picture do no correlate.

Charging the battery via engine is normal. Exploding modules is not normal. Two footing a force charge is no different than normal driving operation.

Skibob likes this.
  17. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If my post is not valid let me validate further the car this battery came from was already throwing codes for faulty traction battery as well as the fan not working due to dog hair and trash meaning it was already charging incorrectly and not cooling the cells also you can burn up your mg2 stator charging the traction battery in this method the best way is in park charging itself. I'm open for correction on this matter by all means I love the discussion

18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is why a damaged battery shouldn't be driven on for a long time. It's the battery that has already thrown codes and then kept in service that makes it an issue. Not the act of force charging itself. This can happen to a poorly battery just decelerating down an off ramp

19. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking the next wrecked prius I get for the motor and cvt if the battery is not throwing codes I may experiment with the theory or I could always build one for the theory I have enough spare parts

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No experimentation is needed. When the cell is dead it gets very hot as current passes through it. When a pack is dead and you/customer then clear the codes the car thinks all is well and sends 120A through the pack. Dead cell gets hot, it vents. In the prismatics that vent ontop doesn't really do anything as it is meant for normal venting which never happens. For catastrophic venting it isn't enough. It is usually enough that it is the tops that explode, not the side or bottoms since that's where the pressure relief is. It is like poking a small hole in a pie. Now you know where the pie filling is going to come out.

This is a problem as old as NiMH batteries and why when the car tells you there is a problem, it is time to start fixing the problem. You can usually continue driving for a few weeks or months but as the pack gets worse and worse and the codes are continually cleared, this type of failure is more and more common.