1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius HVAC Blower Motor replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brian L. Baker, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Brian L. Baker

Brian L. Baker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone done this? I am struggling with it, and need to get it done - by myself, as I can't afford a service job. I am handy, and comfortable doing it, But I am confused about how to get into the blower housing.

Help?

FWIW, I recently changed the headlights, and replaced the MFD, without difficulty. This is annoying me. I must be missing something obvious.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remove all of the hatch trim, especially the deck trim covering the right side of the hatch. This will require you to pull up the rear seat cushion and the rear seat back frame on the right side. Then you can remove the vent duct and the battery blower.

If you need more details, subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com which will provide full instructions about how to remove the hatch trim.

3. Brian L. Baker

Brian L. Baker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, obviously some more information is needed. It is the AC Blower Motor, and NOT the battery blower. I know it is behind the glovebox, inside a white plastic housing, I just can't figure a decent way in. I removed the electronics bolted on the bottom, undid 3 screws, but cannot get an angle on the fourth, and am wondering it there is a fifth I can't see at all.

Has anyone done this that can give me pointers?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I see now that your title includes "HVAC". According to the exploded parts diagram, five screws secure the cover at the bottom of the assembly. Three screws attach the HVAC blower itself.

5. GasserDude

GasserDude New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched this same topic here and was amazed at the number of replies that I saw saying that it is a matter of only three screws after the glove box is removed. These people have obviously never changed the blower motor in this era Prius! The first step is to remove the glove box by opening and squeezing in the retainers on both side of the box so that it opens past the normal position. Release the piston on the right side by sliding it off of the pin on the side of the glove box. Then just pull the glove box to you to remove it from the pivot pins on the dash. Next, remove the black panel under the glove box by simply pulling down on it. It has two catches that must release from the top and two pins on the bottom that side into brackets. Once it is off, it is easy to see how to reinstall it. The next step is to remove the transmission control module from the bottom of the blower unit with a 10mm socket. It is held on with two screws and can be left attached to the harness. The next step is the one that no one seems to include. You must remove the condensation pan from below the motor by removing 5 phillips head screws around the periphery. For the two near the back you will need a stubby screwdriver. After removing the screws, remove the pan, being careful no to break off the molded-in drain tube. NOW you are ready to remove the three T25 Torx screws to remove the blower motor. The wire is easier to disconnect from the harness at this point instead of from the motor. Once the motor is out, you can easily release the wires from the motor connection by sliding a flat screwdriver in beside the plug and pushing against it to release the wire. Installation is the reverse of these instructions. I hope this helps someone out there so they have an easier time of it than I did. Took me about an hour (without instructions), and save me nearly $400 over letting the dealership install it. Good luck!

koolingit likes this.