1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Hybrid Battery Service Plug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by howgamer, Sep 30, 2022.

1. howgamer

howgamer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planning on replacing my rear struts which I feel pretty good about. Though I am nervous to work around the HV battery so was going to remove the service plug while getting the job done. Just wondering after putting the plug back in is there anything special that needs to be done with starting the car back up or will it just turn on and run as normal?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't remember, but sometimes you have to push it a few times, or hold it in for so many seconds

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you're putting the plug back in is receptacle and the last step where you push it down to lock it in and engage the little two-pin locating plug that's actually on the plug that you had out the orange piece generally you need to slam it down pretty hard almost to the point where it hurts your finger so that that last connection is made well you can read about other people that had to do the same thing I don't know if it just needs a little bit of electrical grease or something but slamming it down seems to work the best I haven't broken one yet.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Doing the rear struts, well, you will be kind of "around" the battery, but I don't believe you're going to take any of its covers off, or see the ends of any orange cables. Under those circumstances, pulling the service plug would probably be the closest your mitts get to high voltage in the entire job. (And, in fact, if you look in the repair manual, Toyota does direct you to glove up before operating that plug.) The battery and orange cables just sitting there are not going to mess with you if you don't mess with them.

S.Marlatt, Mendel Leisk and howgamer like this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you're putting the service plug back- 1)push the plug in, 2)swing the lever in, 3)slide the lever down

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 to ChapmanF's post. No need to remove the service plug, therefore no issues related to doing that.

Just forget about anything to do with the battery and just get on with replacing the struts.

No need to make this job more complicated than it needs to be.

howgamer and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. howgamer

howgamer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the responses!

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Number #1 problem people have when working on a battery pack is not fully locking in place the Orange plug when they're done and then they freak out. So make sure you know that the plug is not locked into place after swinging the orange lever into place. It also has to slide down to lock it.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, if that lever is not fully slid into place, the car will give you a specific trouble code, P0A0D, that exactly means "say, I am not starting because you have left one of the safety interlocks open." So if you see that code, instead of freaking out, you go right back to that lever and click it.

Moral: those who have a decent scan tool and read trouble codes are able to remain calm where others might freak out.

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but knowledgeable people who always remain calm are usually kinda dead inside...

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While in there, you might want to clean up the HV battery fan.

howgamer likes this.