1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius hybrid system overheats with codes P3190 and P3191

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Enik, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car certainly needs to have the traction battery replaced.

It is not obvious that the fuel pump is an issue. You would measure fuel line pressure, which should be at least 43 psi at idle, to determine if the pump is good. As you pointed out it is necessary to replace the fuel tank if the pump has a problem.

The engine misfire could be due to marginal spark plugs or fuel injectors. Or it could be due to the engine being worn out, you would do a compression or cylinder leak down test to determine whether that is the problem.

It is not likely that a fuel pump issue is causing the battery fault codes.

greenbubba likes this.
  2. greenbubba

greenbubba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks Patrick. I believe you generally recommend against replacing individual battery cells. However, if I'm just looking/hoping to extend the life by 20K miles or so, and can get replacements for $29 on ebay, I wonder what you'd say. Value your opinion!

3. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be reasonable to replace individual modules given the short time horizon you have in mind.

greenbubba likes this.
  4. greenbubba

greenbubba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the codes confirmed by a shop today. Mechanic said there is a chance replacing the HVBP will not clear the P3009 code. That the stator may have internal issues, but the stator cannot be tested accurately until the HVBP is replaced.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post #24 is the first mention of DTC P3009, which is a high voltage ground fault. That fault can be caused by any component exposed to high voltage, including the traction battery, traction battery ECU, the cable leading to the inverter, the inverter, and the transaxle.

That DTC does not impair drivetrain performance but is a potential safety issue.

6. greenbubba

greenbubba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the P3009 is new. Advance Auto scan did not pick that up. I haven't pulled the plug just yet. I'm not comfortable with replacing cells, but pulling out the entire pack seems pretty straightforward. Considering a greentec/falcon/dorman HVPB replacement may get me moving and still have a better value than $2-$3k car off craigslist.
    Considering P3009 is a HV ground fault replacing the traction battery may not be safe for a first timer? Dealer just quoted $2450 for new w/ tax. Also found a Dorman with warranty until 02/17 for $750 - might be just the ticket.

#26 greenbubba, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015