1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Hybrid total electrical failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmulcahy, Jul 27, 2017.

1. tmulcahy

tmulcahy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I lost my perfectly running 2005 Prius Hybrid about six months ago when a driver turned a corner sharply into my front end while I was at a stop sign. Ran perfectly, but when I tried to fix the front end, the insurance company considered it a total loss, because the crumple zone was, well, crumpled. Very expensive labor to replace that whole section of frame. Sad.
    Anyway, I took their check to a dealer and picked up a 2006 model for a little bit more than the check amount. It's been running fine, but just now, an alarm came on, and when I went out and got in, I turned the engine on because the unusual alarm wouldn't shut off. All seemed fine. (In fact, I had driven it today, and shortly before this happened, had gone out to the car to retrieve a CD from the player. Engine started right up, and CD player was fine. Removed the CD, and replaced it. Shut the motor off.)

So now, there is no power at all. Neither key fob nor button will unlock the doors. I have to use the key. However, even when I get in, I cannot use the unlock control in the door to unlock all doors. I can't even get to the 12v battery, because I can't get in the back. I will have to pull the seats down, and crawl back there, but I still don't know how to open that hatch. Is there anyone who can give me any advice? This is bizarre. Never had a problem like this with the 2005. No engine, no electrical, no power of any kind. Help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a cover over the manual release back there. i forget exactly where, it should be in the manual.
    you can also put a 12v source on the jump point under the hood.
    the battery probably went dead sitting on the dealer lot.

3. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the 15 amp AM2 fuse. A failed shorted invertor coolant pump will cause this fuse to blow. With a blown AM2 fuse about all that works is the dome light.

Brad

fotomoto likes this.
  4. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, your best bet is pop hood and look in the top right corner area for black fuse box...open it and you'll see a red piece of metal that you attach positive to...it is tiny and hard to clamp onto... some jumper cables will be too big..

If car operates normal after jump u just need battery.

5. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That does not make any sense. The OP has had the car for six months.

Brad

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most likely the 12V battery is dead. You have two choices:

1. Find the dedicated positive jumpstart terminal in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter. Apply the positive red 12V cable from your jump source to that terminal, attach the negative black cable to one of the nuts holding the strut behind the relay/fuse box. See if that brings the car to life.

2. Crawl into the hatch. Remove the folding hatch floor. You will see the black tray over the tire. At the rear of that tray you will see a small door. Open that door. Now you can see the hatch locking mechanism. Look for a little lever which is the manual lock release. Move that lever while you push up on the hatch, to open the hatch.

Once you have access to the 12V battery, replace it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it goes dead on the lot, and they charge it up when someone wants to see it. but adios amigo to these batteries after being disrespected.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep
    Used Prius sits in the lot for quite awhile as they don't sell that fast anymore and then you roll in and they rush out and jump start it and away you go.

Hook a car charger to the front jump points. Under the black plastic fuse cover there's a red plastic cover. Open that cover and there's a metal vertical tab under it. That's the positive volt clamp to attach the red clamp of your charger. Use the strut nut right above that box as the negative.

Soon as it's charged enough to open the hatch go buy a new battery and install it. There's 12,567 posts on this forum how to do that.

Do not do not jump start it.

9. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really? The OP had the car for six months running fine after leaving the dealers lot. Dam dealer must have jump started a dead battery knowing the buyer would get only six months use out of it.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lost his car six months ago. Didn't say when he bought this car.Dam you can't read a post.