1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius ice rattling acceleration only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bryan Holloway, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Bryan Holloway

Bryan Holloway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have been hearing a rattling noise coming from the engine under acceleration only. It isn't a super consistent rattle, seems to only happen when accelerating from lower speeds. And sometimes you don't hear and other times you do. It's not a bad rattle or knock it's more of a ticking/light rattling sound that is definitely abnormal.

I know my brake accumulator is barking at me and the 3 way coolant valve is going bad as sometimes I get a constant pumping sound. I don't think these have anything to do with it but thought I'd mention it.

I went ahead and replaced the water pump and pcv valve as I have 220k miles. The noise didn't go away. Anyone have any insight to this problem?

2. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My engine has a light rattle under cold accelerations too. If its warm is less noisy.
    If the radio is on you don't hear it.
    It sounds link valves. All the prius i drove have that same sound.
    Its only noticeable if you really listen to it.
    So the prius engine makes a very soft rattle noise when accelerating.
    If you think your sound is harder, its maybe a exhaust gasket that will rattle also under acceleration.
    And a question i might think you checkt already......hows you oil level?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check all along the exhaust for metal to metal touching or too close.

b100 likes this.
  4. Bryan Holloway

Bryan Holloway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil level is good, but I am burning oil, and have run it pretty low before on accident awhile ago.

Ill check that out and report back. I have had the cat off though and would imagine I would have seen it or changed it since I removed and reinstalled it.

b100 and bisco like this.
  5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine (2009 Gen 2, 93K) rattles after a cold start for the first few minutes. Once things warm up, the sound fades away.

Data Daedalus and b100 like this.