1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius MFD GVIF Video Input

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Dec 12, 2006.

1. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We def need to get this idea back in the works, I have been thinking bout this project since i got my car in aug 2006, since i am coming up to my one year anniversary of the car, i am still trying to do this before that date.

I found this website and at the bottom he has some java code to read the inputs of the screen touches, once we can ge ta way for the computer and screen to communicate i wouldnt mind messing with the code to tweak it for us prius owners

2. emailcurt

emailcurt New Member

What's the website?

3. otrebor

otrebor Junior Member

Hi theforce, fantastic what you did. My PRI'07 is whitout NAV system so i wondered if i may inject any video signal into my screen and how. Could you point me to some infos/advice ? I'm pretty into electronic and programming but not so much into automotive bus and similar thing so i will need to know e.g. where are the connector located, what kind of connector and signals there are, etc. etc.

TiA, ciao

4. emailcurt

emailcurt New Member

FYI, If you're happy with composite video quality, you can buy a device from coastal tech, or a couple other companies (just do a google search). For DVD, IPOD, this is really all you need. If you want digital video (via RGB for example) that's the difficult area that this thread discusses.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRB @ Jul 25 2007, 02:30 AM) [snapback]484585[/snapback]</div>

5. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. emailcurt

emailcurt New Member

I emailed them. Will post any reply.

7. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The signal is desynched somewhere along the analog signal's path. Change relevant settings from PC -> converter box or if the box itself has settings, change them there. You may have to sacrifice that resolution to get the right look on your hardware; I can't say for sure. I can say I don't experience that problem using direct RCA out on an Epia-N motherboard to the LockPick3 RCA inputs.

~ dan ~

8. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vidcap to Picture-In-Picture on the PC, as though one or the other is an overlay.

9. CameronHilliard

CameronHilliard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pardon my ignorance...

But what is the difference between this and the Lockpick??

10. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Pardon my ignorance...

i thought we were trying to get vga or dvi input to the screen.
    Discussion was going on in this thread --> http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25066&page=9

It'd be nice if these threads got merged.

Summary: the unit from nav2go seems to work - for displaying on screen, but there is still no word on getting touchscreen input back a computer. Also, the nav2go unit is ~450.

Opinion: 450 for the nav2go thing is a bit pricey for my taste. For 450, i could just buy an external screen. Though, it's not as nice as integrating with the existing screen.
    Edit: hmm... just had a quick look at screen prices - i guess they're not that cheap, but this one: http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_GL701_NP_C_T_p/mon-020.htm
    is 399 - and it is all ready for input/output from/to a pc. i'm sure it can be had for less with a bit of shopping too.

11. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The difference between this and the lockpick is that the lockpick seamlessly integrates dvd video / audio (as a new source mode selection), selectively tricks the mfd hardware into thinking you're not moving (only when you need it -- during phone dialing and when you ask it to for nav input etc) and gives you total freedom over other controls in the car.

I especially like the video quality on my 2006 -- my CarPC outshines most of what I've seen on this forum and elsewhere.

~ dan ~

The LockPick3 has a smaller price tag than the nav2go unit, but use of the touch screen requires something that can grab the signal (I understand the canview does it, but I don't own one so I have to use a gyro mouse or trackball for carpc control which I don't like).

12. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What video card are you using to output composite to your car fruzzeti? I have an old ati all in wonder that outputs composite, but most cards don't do composite (?) - more common to get an s-video - which would actually be better "quality" than composite? I wonder if talking about composite in terms of resolution is proper.

13. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This.

The screen is not the best quality, and I find that there are no sync problems, no issues with color correction, or scan rate over the RCA connector using simple composite video. You're talking about a small, medium-contrast screen; why feed it a hi-def type signal when there's no chance it will ever possibly have the quality of output to match the signal?

"Good enough" is cheaper (you're only making the signal as good as the screen can reproduce) and you won't see much (or possibly any) improvement going beyond that.

I'm -extremely- satisfied with the look and feel.

~ dan ~

14. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Whoops, I guess I was mistakenly translating my own pc-to-tv experience to this situation. I had a shitty tv, and it would only display 640x480 from a composite feed from my pc. I figured since the prius mfd is spec'd as ~800x600, I would want a better connection type. Crappy reasoning.
    ie. Composite does not equal worse than 640x480. I don't know what precipitated that brain fart.

Anyway, your setup sounds good. What resolution are you feeding it?

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Links are outdated probably due to the new PriusChat software. Could someone point me to the more recent development on using the non-Nav MFD for a car PC? Thanks!