1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - No oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by claypot2, Jan 4, 2015.

1. claypot2

claypot2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Over the last week or two Ive seen the word "Problem" display on my MFD for a second or two when I turn a corner. Its happened about 3 times now. Last night I searched Prius chat to see what it might be. My research showed it might be an oil issue. I checked the oil tonight and guess what - No Oil!!! I don't recall seeing any oil dropping from my car. Anyway - I know I need to put oil in. I'm afraid to drive it even to get oil. What kind of oil should I buy and how much - and can I put it in without changing the filter? Or should I just wait and take it to the dealer tomorrow?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't drive it until you put oil in it. If you buy 1 quart of oil, it should bring it to about 1/2 way up the dipstick's low and full level marks.

No need to blow your money at the dealer, your car is burning oil and you just have to keep monitoring it and top off the oil as needed. Short of changing out the engine, there's not much you can do. Just keep adding oil when needed and don't let it run dry again.

Merkey likes this.
  3. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what jc91006 said above, just to make sure that op does NOT drive until he puts at least 1 Qt of oil.

4. claypot2

claypot2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK thanks, just went out and bought a couple quarts of 5W30 Mobil 1 (synthetic) - wasn't sure if I should go with synthetic but selected 5w30 because its what the owners manual said to use. As recommended - did not use the oil-less car to get the oil. Going to put it in now. Thanks so much!!!

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chances are your car will be burning a good amount of oil. Keep an eye on it and maybe you can save a little money by just buying regular oil to top off, since your car will just burn through it. 5w-30 is the correct weight.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We know nothing of the OPs mileage or service patterns. Is the car burning oil or has the OP just never checked the levels between services - assuming the car is serviced correctly.

For the car to burn oil from full to empty in the 5,000 mile US service interval would indicate a high mileage car or one with a problem. I wonder if the car has been allowed to run low on oil in the past causing engine damage? If the oil levels were checked weekly or even monthly, then the OP would have noticed a lowering level and rectified it at that time. Proactive servicing, rather than reactive.

I fear if the car has been run with zero oil on the dipstick, that the engine has now been permanently damaged and will at best be an old smoker, burning oil at a fearsome rate.

Potentially expensive lesson to learn, but checking your oil level manually every couple weeks can save thousands in future repair costs. Look after your car and it looks after you.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really doesn't matter at this point.

Based on the questions that the OP asked, I would surmise that they don't regularly check the oil volume, but they do care enough about their car to still have (and still read) the owner's manual and they cared enough to pop a flare for assistance.
    The Prius is almost 10 years old, it's being driven currently in a warm climate, and it's just now starting to burn enough oil (based on info provided) for the motor to go low out of spec for oil volume before the regularly scheduled oil change interval elapses.
    This is all pretty easy stuff.
    The owner will now more regularly check their oil level and determine their burn rate......or they will start to get worried about it and the "change owner" light will illuminate....or some combination of either one.

Here's my advice: (worth almost as much as you will pay for it!)
    Get into the habit of checking the dipstick at least very other time you get gas.
    Drive the car regularly for a few months with ready access to another quart of oil, and see how much your car is burning.
    If you park in a garage or a carport you can also monitor for a leak if that makes you happy.
    If you know your car's fuel efficiency or track it with the MDF, pay particular attention to that as well. The MDF isn't accurate, but it will show a change in fuel efficiency, and that's what you're looking for.

Do nothing else.
    Make no decisions about your car's future until you know more than you do now about how it's performing now.
    Don't try to make up with your car for neglecting it by buying it fancy stuff like "Seafoam" and "Marvel Mystery Oil."
    I'm betting that if your car drove fine and got 48MPG before, then it still does now....and if your car is efficient and you're only burning a little oil???
    I'd call that good.

Yes.
    It's a smoker now, and like many smokers it's going to do that for the rest of it's life and it will probably catch up with you and kill your car like John Wayne.....

.....in another 150,000 miles or so.
    Meanwhile?
    Just drive the car.
    Check the oil.
    Remember....they didn't take John Wayne out to the back of the studio and shoot him when they diagnosed his cancer. He won his Oscar and made 13 years worth of movies after they found it!
    Plan to start looking for a new one in 5-10 years or when you've reached what your manual says is a rate of excessive oil use, or about 1 quart every 600 miles.
    (Hint: There's a reason Toyota uses this value - and it's as applicable for an 06 as it is for a 2015. ;) )

Good Luck!
    Happy New Year!

#8 ETC(SS), Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Moved my 06' to a new owner because it was starting to make valve noises, boy oh boy, is yours going to make a racket... Change the oil filter also;)

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 06 makes valve noises as well. I was thinking I would never be able to sell it when the loud ticking sound....what did you tell the new owners?

11. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Traded it to a ford dealer for an escape, turned the escape immediately ino an X1, 7" clearence, 32mpgs all wheel drive.

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't comment on the sudden disappearance of your oil, but usually there are some tell-tale signs. A bluish haze from the exhaust or stains on ground where you've parked usually offer a clue. In my case, it's quite possible that I've forgotten to check my oil for a long period of time, therefore a little bit of oil consumption turns into a lot after a long time.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hard to say until OP reports back what adding two quarts accomplished. There might have been some oil, a quart or two, just off the dipstick.

It'd be good to know when the last oil change was, and who did it.