1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 prius p0a93 code again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by truecountry, Jun 30, 2019.

1. truecountry

truecountry New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All
    Its my daughters car 233,000 miles
    Triangle red light and code p0a93 .
    I replaced the inverter pump 8720047030 behind head light
    and I replaced another pump under front fender 1629021011
    Bleed the system and added coolant cleared the code
    Now 2 weeks later its back
    Am I Missing something or did pump go bad in 2 weeks ?

2. truecountry

truecountry New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I have key on button 2 times and flow in tank ..Both fans working

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which code is back? P0A93?
    People have reported their aftermarket inverter pump going bad again, and soon for some.

This makes it sound like the inverter pump is working correctly, so unlikely the code will be P0A93.

Maybe the CHRS (Coolant Heat Recovery Storage) pump (PN: 16290-21011) is bad?
    Report the code, otherwise its speculation.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much coolant did you add? I would check the coolant level from the radiator (fill by opening radiator cap when engine is cool) You might just be low on coolant.

5. truecountry

truecountry New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P0A93 is the code again Cleared it with laptop and came back on today 38 miles later a/c still worked cruise control stopped

6. truecountry

truecountry New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I Added a gallon and have checked it cold and everything is full I used the clear hose to fluid tank to watch air bubbles til it stopped and worked all hoses after to make sure its none left …I have a laptop with obd2 on it I use to pull codes and watch temps

7. truecountry

truecountry New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now I must ask with 233,000 miles could the engine water pump be the problem if everything reads temps and is connected together or is engine coolant and inverter coolant 2 different systems …..engine water pump lasting 233,000 is unreal but must have wear and don't push coolant like a new one

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you drained the radiator, and the thermos while replacing pump, you are surely going to need more than 1 gallon to replenish what you took out

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The engine water pump is driven by the belt in the engine compartment. If it's turning,it's working. Whether or not it leaks is a different story. If there is one thing that goes bad, it's the radiator cap, when it's old and can't keep pressure in the system

The code you are pulling is associated with the inverter pump not working, but you stated you checked by looking in the inverter reservoir and see the pump working and the fluid should be moving around nicely.

I've seen this code pop up with good working pump before, but the reason for the code was the wires to the pump were chewed up by little critters. This scenario will disable the pump, even though it's a perfectly good working pump

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes.
    Engine cooling loop consists of: Engine, engine water pump (belt driven), 3-way coolant control valve, CHRS thermos, CHRS pump, cabin heater pump, heater core, upper portion of the radiator, and related hoses.

Inverter cooling loop consists of inverter pump, inverter, transaxle, lower portion of the radiator, and related hoses.​

Consider downloading a copy of the factory service manual. It will broaden your knowledge and understanding of the Prius.
    Go to TIS. Two days will cost you $20. Supposedly only business days are counted (remember reading this in other threads). If you start on a Friday 12:00:00 AM, you have until Monday 11:59:59 PM, to finish.
    This user downloaded both his Toyota cars over the course of his 2 business day subscription. Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat