1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Red Triangle after changing Inverter Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ronnie P Mangulabnan, May 22, 2018.

1. Ronnie P Mangulabnan

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A few days ago while I was driving my car had immediately shut off and would not start had to get it towed and did some research which lead me to the failed inverter Pump. Changed it out and everything was good. A few days later the red triangle came on in my dashboard but I was still.able to make it home. Fuses are okay and no smoke coming from engine. Does anyone have any idea on what I should do to diagnose?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:

• How many miles on your Prius?
    • Do you have a way to read the codes that your Prius is displaying?
    • Have you tried to start the Prius back up and is there movement in the reservoir?
    Keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  3. Ronnie P Mangulabnan

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    -170k miles
    -not sure on how to read codes :/
    -i disabled my 12v battery for a few min and the light went away but I'm not sure if that's a pernan6 fix lol

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You’ll need a device that connects to the On Board Diagnostics (OBD2) port underneath the steering wheel of your Prius. It also needs to be able to read the hybrid codes that the Prius will display, so Techstream is an example;).

If you pulled the 12v battery lead and the light is off, it could be for a day or could be for longer. Just hard to tell unless you read the codes linked to the dash light as it could be one of a 100 or so causes:whistle:.

If they display again, try to have them read so you can determine a cause;).

Keep us posted (y).

5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The logged DTC is still in the ECM(s). You can still have it/them read. As stated you need an OBDII style reader compatible with the Pri. Techstream clone cables are available for around $30USD on Amazon and Ebay. When mated to an older Windows platform (i.e. Windows 7) laptop they are about the most economical solution for DIYers as you can find. A dealer can pull your codes for a fee. If you choose to go this route make sure you get the primary code(s) and the sub-code(s) make them print it all out don't settle for the dealership mumbo-gumbo. Report back here when you have your DTC(s). Most auto parts stores will read your codes for free but be cautioned, often times their readers are not compatible with the Pri.