1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Restoration

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 06PriusResto, Jul 14, 2022.

1. 06PriusResto

06PriusResto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Prius community. I recently purchased an 06 with some issues and hoping to sort them out with your help. Im a mechanic but the hybrid stuff is new to me having only worked on a few prius' over the years.
    Thanks in advance. Im gonna jump right in with a new thread.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, all the best!(y)

06PriusResto likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcomes aboard... You're gonna enjoy developing your Prius repair skills. Where's the details on what's wrong with your '06?

06PriusResto likes this.
  4. 06PriusResto

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "MFD Touchscreen assembly testing and repair?" I posted this thread earlier. This is the first problem I'm trying to sort out. Then there's a few hybrid cells I need to replace. And finally the speedometer cluster is not illuminating. I've watched a few videos about the resistor repair, it's probably the issue.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. 06PriusResto

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up pulling the hybrid battery out and replacing 8 cells that I got from Ebay, cleaned all the terminals and copper connectors meticulously. After reassembly and installation I ran the car and checked the hybrid cell voltages on the scan tool and everything seems to be fine, but Im still getting the Red Triangle-Check Engine-VCS lights.... ! When I check the codes there's No Codes to show? Any thought and ideas as to what the problem could be ? Or a thread that covers this would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking, lights displayed equates to codes being stored in the ECUs. In short, the OBD2 scanner that you are using isn't fully compatible with the vehicle. Many will use techstream (dealer tech software) installed on a winblows device (or emulated), and a $20 miniVCI cable (or better) to retrieve the OBD2 codes (DTCs). Which scanner/app are you currently using?
    Did you use a "grid charger" to balance the HV pack after repair?

7. 06PriusResto

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the response. I have an Innova 5610. I didnt use a grid charger but the tool readings show a consistent voltage across all the cells. There were a few ABS codes stored but no OBD codes.
    I did figure out what the problem was...I read that if the fluids were low, like oil, the lights will illuminate as 'warning lights'. When i checked the fluids they were all ok, the oil was a bit low but still above the dot on the stick, so I added some and erased the 'no codes stored' and so far so good.
    The car is not registered so I only drive it up and down the road. The warning lights would illuminate after driving, then parking and restarting. But, again, so far so good.
    The car is a project. I see it as a learning experience to get more familiar with the hybrids. But its been, so far, a nice little car. I cleaned up a lot of the interior and reinstalled missing clips and such. Straightened out a few body issues it had, replaced blown bulbs and got new filters and splash shields, etc.
    It still needs MFD screen repair and the periodic instrument cluster black-out issue repaired.
    Thanks again.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    consider mini vci and tech stream at some point, if you are going to continue with toyota hybrids

06PriusResto likes this.