1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius review dissected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Russell Frost, Jul 14, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Jul 15 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]286891[/snapback]</div>
    I resemble that remark! :p

Actually I'm quite a few years under 70 and readily admit that Consumer Reports played a big part in my decision to get a Prius.

2. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Jul 15 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]286891[/snapback]</div>
    Hey RichBoy! I keep my Consumer Reports web login current every year! I'm just 44 so there must be some mistake.

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Jul 15 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]286891[/snapback]</div>

What do you go by, "Truth in Advertising?"

I can't tell you how many times CU has saved my bacon. Unless you believe that famous brand names are the last word in quality or have the time and patience to shop a dozen stores to make comparisons, how, precisely, are you able to tell the dreck from the gold?

Unless you got to be a richboy through inheritance, I'd suggest you'll stay one longer if you consider their advice.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Still living off your parents, richBoi ?

5. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Jul 15 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]286891[/snapback]</div>
    When my father refused to help me get into a car (he was remarried with lots more kids on the way and didn't care anymore about his 6 kids with his first wife), my Grandfather (well under 70 years old at that time) said he'd help me. He gave me a Consumer Reports magazine (the annual Car edition) and told me I HAD to get one they said would be good. I was bummed! I wanted a muscle car (I was 19 at the time and only had experience with big engine vehicles), and there were none in a decent price range that the magazine liked (they all had lots of black dots).

When I told him about a car I liked, he'd ask me, "What does Consumer Reports say about it?" I couldn't believe how adamant he was!

I finally settled on a used 1981 Honda Accord Hatchback. I was THRILLED with the results - it was reliable, zippy, and lasted forever with no problems (the report had lots of red dots)! I was sold on Consumer Reports.

I've had a subscription ever since. I changed over to the electronic version 5 years ago. The only bad thing about not having the magazine in my hands is that I don't read up on unrelated stuff as much anymore (by just reading the magazine from cover to cover), but the Internet version gets my visit a LOT when I want to buy stuff. The best part? I don't have to dig through a bunch of boxes of old mags to get the correct month's edition, nor do I have to consult their Annual Guide to find which month's magazine I need to dig for!

I'm only 40 now, so I may be considered "old" to our friend, RichBoy. But, I've had a continuous subscription to CR for over 20 years now and it has NEVER failed me! I've gone back and looked at what CR had to say about other cars I've ended up owning (due to a past marriage to a guy who would just run out and buy them when he felt he wanted a different car - guess he thought he was a rich boy, too, living off my paycheck and never working himself), and CR has always been right on!

The overall cost of my continuing subscription has easily been paid for by the savings in price (whenever I show up at a store with a printout in my hand showing CR paid significantly less for their test model than the store is selling it for - I always get the CR price!) and in repairs (I can avoid them BEFORE they happen)!

So, RichBoy, is this currently 40 year old Prius owner "old?" Or is the 19 yr old who got hooked on the magazine all those years ago the "old" one?

And, if you're such a "rich boy," what are you doing driving a Prius (where's your Lamborghini?) and why are you giving us crap about the magazine which helped many of us "not rich boys" make our decision to go ahead and pay the higher sticker price for this car rather than the lower cost of many other cars?