1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius showing multiple warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by obhasha, Dec 19, 2015.

1. obhasha

obhasha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

My 2006 prius started beeping and showing multiple warning lights - The big triangle with the exlamation, Brake System Warning light and Check Engine light on the dashboard. On the main screen the hybrid system warning icon popped up.

I asked from a toyota service place and they said this might be due to multiple reasons (they didn't mention exact reasons) and will cost a lot of money. I've been checking some posts and found some advice regarding the inverter cooler. I checked the coolant container for "waves" as instructed by this post Suddenly hit with multiple warning lights! | PriusChat.

I can see the coolant moving when I turn the car on. What other reasons that can cause this issue?

2. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 12v battery that's at the end of its life...

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hard to tell without codes.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many miles on her?

you need an old laptop and mini vci. it can be very useful, but if you don't diy, the dealer might be a better option. auto parts stores have readers, but they don't read all the toyota codes.

5. obhasha

obhasha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible for me to read the codes myself or do I need to go to a dealer?

131,381km (81636.3686 miles)

6. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An OBD-II reader should be able read some codes, but it takes a special one to get into the specifics of Prius codes. Mini-VCI like bisco said (available on Amazon) is the best way to go. The dealer can also read them.

How old is the 12v battery?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that much, age is more likely a factor in whatever is wrong.

8. obhasha

obhasha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can do a fair bit of diy. But it will take time to order online as I live in Australia. Are there any possible codes that can relate to the symptoms? My spark plugs are pretty old. Could they be the cause of the issue?

Btw. Big thanks for everyone who replied so fast. Didn't expect that :)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are hearing a warning beep, you should assume that your braking system is actually impaired. You need to have the DTC read to find out what is wrong with the car. I do not recommend that you continue to drive the car in this condition.

You can either pay your local dealer to read the DTC or else order Mini VCI to DIY.

The spark plug change interval is at 120K miles (200K km) so that is not likely to be an issue. If the plugs were a problem the check engine light would be on.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your not really due for any major services. as priusyipee said in post 2, worth checking the 12v, then codes. if you can diy, then it's waiting for the mini vci vs paying the dealer, or seeing what a local code reader turns up. have you done any brake/wheel bearing work lately?

all the best!(y)

11. obhasha

obhasha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, I'll get the codes and come back. But it'll take a while. Thanks guys

12. obhasha

obhasha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

Could high temperatures in the weather cause the warning lights to come on?

The day this happened the temperature was 42C (107.6F) and the car was parked all day outside in direct sunlight. When I was driving I had the aircon on full blast with max cool.

Can I try resetting the system and see if that helps?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can try whatever you want. Clearing the codes will not make up for the fact that your car has a serious problem. That problem may or may not be related to the high ambient air temperatures.

If you want to do more than apply a Band-Aid, you need to retrieve the DTC before you clear them.

14. Billygoat

Billygoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Better check that oil too. Read the posts about the Red triangle of death and the oil consumption issue.

15. obhasha

obhasha New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave the car to the local Toyota and they fixed it.

As I assumed it was a heat issue. My car was due to a recall where the water pump and the extension shaft needed replacing. The problem happened in the day when the temperature was 42C (107.6F) and the weak water pump could not keep the engine cool.

Since this issue was part of the recall I only had to pay the consultation fee which was 63 Australian dollars.

Thanking everyone for the advise and the support.

Regards,
    Lahiru.