1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Voice Recognition Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bobr1, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Thanks, Wildkow... I will be seeing my dealer service dept on Thursday about the "AM Radio" problem and the apparent audio level problem to see what the techs have to say.

- Bob R.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

the audio prompts will work while driving to add addresses etc.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well I just tried it on my 06.. the touchscreen sequence doesn't work....Has anyone found the secret for the 06?

4. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

My quote, "As a follow-up, I received a private email this afternoon from someone who was able to duplicate the results on his 2006 Prius." ... was in reference to the voice recognition problems, not the NAV-override issue. Please let's keep this thread solely about voice recognition problems in 2006 models. Thank you.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

bob... that was what I was talking about..I want to turn up the voice ... I can't get into that screen with my 06.. I printed your instructions and I touched every concievable part of that screen in the order you said... doesn't seem to work.

6. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Bob, thanks for the information. So is the purpose of the testing you describe to self-calibrate what speaking volume is optimal? Or is there a way to actually "increase" the input from the mic?

7. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Hi -

The purpose of the test that I describe is to demonstrate that there is very likely a hardware problem.

The audio that reaches the Nav unit is not at correct levels and does not reach the full range that the Nav unit is expecting. Furthermore, speaking too loudly (in order to compensate for the low audio levels) results in distorted/clipped audio.

I suspect that this is the reason a number of people have reported unreliable voice recognition in their 2006 vehicles.

As a tech guy, it certainly throws up a red flag for me as the first thing that should be adjusted to see if the problem goes away. How to adjust it: I don't know how, or if it is even possible.

I'm hoping to get Toyota's attention about this problem. They may not even be aware of it.

- Bob R.

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not a Prius tech, but my guess would be that the proverbial "gain" for the microphone input would likely be software-related, not hardware.

Additionally, I would also assume that if it were a software component, it would feature some automatic gain control (AGC) features.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks Bob.. I know you will post when you find out....

I too guess its software...gain just too low.

10. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Personally, I think it is hardware.

Presumably, the test screen is showing the direct output of the ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter), so something is clearly wrong with the input signal.

- Bob R.

11. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Of course, we're making a basic assumption here that it matters if the input level is too low for human ears or appears low at a diagnostic screen. The voice recognition may function independently of whatever those readings say. Amplitude is the magnitude of a sound wave or electric signal, usually measured in decibels. It's all a relative measurement. The fidelity of the electric signal should, in theory, be more important than the perceived volume, although there is a direct relationship between the two.

Regardless of the amplitude, compression and rarefaction are still captured as the same frequencies. The question is about the tolerance of the system. How many molecules must be placed in motion such that they can be transduced into an electical signal with enough definition to determine what was spoken into the microphone? More molecules moved generally indicates a greater amplitude. So how "quiet" can a signal become before it loses the fidelity the voice recognition system needs? It's a rhetorical question, but I would venture to guess that our ears are incapable of detecting that sound.

Any audio or electrical engineering types in the house? Is this correct, or am I way off base?

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I realize you are much more of an authority on this subject than me, but my question would be....
    Couldn't it still be software?....
    If its getting the signal and turning up the signal seems to help? I see a certain amount of "interpretive technology here too by virtue that its "sound voice" technology that must interpret all of our dialects, or slang as well as tone etc... and still be able to decipher it from background noise. I oould be wrong, but working with computers, I find that 99+% of the time, problems are software related.

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"my car is stuck in reverse!!!"

Then just say the commands backwards and you will be fine.

14. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

If it was purely software related you wouldn't hear the clipping distortion that occurs when you try to speak loudly.

Usually these software bar-graph audio meters are just showing the upper bits of the digital form of the signal. The signal level never reaches the upper bits (each bit being a doubling of sound level) and to try to do so from the mic-side causes clipping distortion.

Plus, when you record and play back your voice, it is barely audible. Yet, the prerecorded female Nav voice comes through just fine, from the SAME software and SAME audio outputs. Clearly the software is expecting to deal with a broader range of audio level for the voice input, and it is not receiving it.

- Bob R.

15. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Perhaps the A-D range is software controlled and can be improved. Could be hardware if the gain isn't matched to the A-D converter. A simple "oops" with a resister value on a board could cause this.

Unless the software is accessible for dealer reprogramming, though, the same "swap the hardware" solution may apply.

16. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Yes, that is possible. I'd be happy to get down there with an osciloscope and start poking around, but I don't even know what pin carries the audio to the nav computer or what Toyota expects the proper values to be.

- Bob R.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if I found it?

go to menu... then to volume...then at the bottom you will see a button that is on my default that says "adaptive volume".

If anyone confirms this let me know..... Theres not much about it... that ususally means it was freshly added.....

I don't know if this feature is on the 05 or not?, but its on the 06.

18. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

"Adaptive Volume" has nothing to do with voice recognition.

It is a feature that turns up the volume of your stereo as you drive faster, so that you can still hear it over road noise.

- Bob R.

19. habel

habel New Member

...removed...

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is also a procedure as follows:
    Power up (if not already up),Push display and hold, turn headlights on and off completely, three times.

A display screen will then come up, hit display (on the screen), hit menu, You can also drive with the screen in this mode,