1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Voice Recognition Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bobr1, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Glint

Glint New Member

Bob,

Thank you so much for your efforts! Please let me know if there is anything I can do in support.

Eric S.

2. xeolem

xeolem New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm also having a problem with the voice command system. "Dial by name" doesn't work unless unless I'm on the phone book screen. I called Toyota and they still have not begun working on a fix for this issue, and I have an appointment to bring it into the dealership Monday. If they do come up with a fix for this problem (I know it's unlikely) I'll be sure to let everyone know.

2006 Prius
    Package #6
    Build date 2/06

Finally got yesterday! Hooray for me! I rock! :D

3. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    on the driver's side door post (at least for 2006 models)

4. mgmb

mgmb Junior Member

I have a 2006 Prius, Package #8 with a build date of 1/06. I do not have a problem with the dail by name, I have a problem with the Nav directions and 50% of the time with dial by number.

When I spoke with the tech he told me that it was my voice. So I had him try it and it still did not work, then he told me that he did not know what to do about it.

I think that there is a bug and Toyota has not address it.

5. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

I'm leaning towards hardware problem rather than bug... Look at the very top of this thread if you haven't already... the audio levels reaching the Nav computer are too low at normal voice levels and distort severely if you talk very loud to compensate.

- Bob R.

6. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I think this thread has 2 distinct problems.

BTW a toyota rep checked the car today and they will report is as a product defect something like that

7. NealSpencer

NealSpencer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 12/05 build 2006 Prius with package #7. My tests concur with everything is the above posts. I'll continue to follow this thread to see if Toyota can give us the car we thought we ordered and paid good money for. If you set up a private email for following this or these issues please post the notice.

Thank you Bob R, for all the effort; you are a bulldog!

Neal

8. xeolem

xeolem New Member

I took the car in yesterday for the Dial by Name issue, and the tech there felt it's a software issue. They're reporting to Toyota, but he said his hands are tied until they update the software.

2006 Prius
    Built 2/06

9. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Over in a new thread, Wildkow wrote today:

I'd prefer it if we kept replies going in this primary thread, but if you wish to see the new thread, here is a link:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17508

- Bob R.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

[/quote]
    Absolutely we should keep it here. Here is the post. . .

Took my 06 Super White pkg #7 with 5063 mi into Michael's Toyota Fresno CA for oil change and tire rotation. Thirty nine bucks not bad they only charged me 31 as I brought my own Mobile 1 synthetic 5-30 motor oil. They did a good job and even put it on the alignment rack when I complained about it pulling to the right.

Also I complained about the AM problem and other voice recognition problems when I returned at the end of the day the Service Writer told me that the stereo unit had to be replaced and the order would take 2-3 weeks to get and a couple of hours to do. I also complained about the fact that sometimes my SKS would not let me in. To be fair I think that a couple of times I might of had my PDA or Cell Phone in the same pocket. However, at the shop it did the same thing with the FOB in my hand They blamed it on the switch that shuts off the sks system but I have never touched the switch. Any way hopefully there is a fix coming for voice recognition problems and it might even include a new DVD.

Wildkow

p.s. He said it was a new service bulletin and that it might not be out to everyone yet. Please check with your dealer in a week or so and post if they do or do not have this notice.

11. SparkyJ

SparkyJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob, any updates in your quest?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xeolem @ Mar 14 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]224908[/snapback]</div>

12. TOPrius

TOPrius New Member

Is voice recognition available if your car doesn't have the Nav? I.e., for the bluetooth, audio, and climate?

Thanks.

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm taking my 06 pkg. 7 manfacture date 11/05 into the service dept. tuesday morning for this problem. Hopefully it will solve some others also. The fix is supposed to be a new CD changer which will solve the AM problem and some other voice recognition problems. However, today when I called in they hinted that it was a firmware change I will let you know tomorrow how things work out.

Wildkow :)

14. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 25 2006, 04:16 AM) [snapback]244766[/snapback]</div>
    I would be surprised if a new NAV DVD unit or the Radio/CD changer would be needed to fix the AM radio command problem. I also have a 2006 11/05 build that had the AM problem. My NAV system died when the weather got warm (would work when it was cool in the mornings). They put a new NAV box in under the seat and had to replace the DVD because the old unit would not eject the disc. The AM radio command now works. Of the two parts replaced, I suspect the DVD with the software on it was what fixed the problem. The new DVD is still the 5.1 map data, but has a "D" in the upper right hand part of the label. I never got to look at the old one to compare. If you know someone with a newer build than 11/05, you could ask to swap DVD's with them to see if it fixes the problem.

- Tom

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Apr 25 2006, 03:09 AM) [snapback]244774[/snapback]</div>
    Ack! Too late I'm taking it into the dealer in about 6 hours. Will take a look at the DVD and see if their are any changes after they are done. Will also do bobr1's voice test to see if anything has changed there. Thanks for the tip. :p

Wildkow

16. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

Just as a short aside to the navigation problem. For database errors you are better off contacting the company that supplies the map data to Toyota. For the US that is most likely Tiger or NavTeq. They each have their own areas for driver feedback. All the major map database suppliers do.

Going to Toyota only adds a layer of miscommunication.

Since I don't have my Prius yet, I don't know who supplies the database.

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ Apr 25 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]244799[/snapback]</div>
    NavTeq supplies the data for our units. Your suggestion is certainly correct for the Madison, AL problem where the roads are all missing (but present on earlier versions). The AM Radio command problem is almost certainly in the Toyota-added voice command system that is not part of the mapping database. In this case, it recognizes a command, repeats it back to you, but then fails to act on it. It was present in the 11/05 build 2006 models, but fixed in cars built a month later.

My experience (NAV system replacement) proves that the AM command fix is either a new(er) DVD or possibly (but I think very unlikely) the NAV unit under the driver's seat. Replacing the DVD takes 5 minutes. Replacing the NAV unit takes about 1 hour. This is based on waiting for the car while it was done.

- Tom

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK sorry this took so long to get back to you all but the switchout took place (CD unit) and the AM problem is solved.

Wildkow

19. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 3 2006, 06:03 AM) [snapback]248994[/snapback]</div>
    CD unit as in dashboard radio/6CD changer? Or was it the NAV unit under the driver's seat (DVD actually)? What does the repair ticket say? Just curious as to how mine was fixed with the NAV unit and the DVD software being replaced and yours was fixed with perhaps a radio replacement. Two ways to fix the same problem??

- Tom

20. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Sorry I haven't checked in with my own thread since late March...

Thanks for the status report Wildkow... have you tried the microphone check on your new unit? How did that go?

My dealer's service tech has basically decided to shrug this off... the attitude is basically "Yes, you are right, this is a problem, but it is way beyond our usual area of expertise, and the Toyota tech support reps and field reps have no helpful advice, so sit tight want hope for a TSB someday..."

I'm considering at this point writing a letter to somewhere at Toyota US HQ with the names of anyone who volunteers to have their name/address on the letter. Any takers should contact me at bob [at] peak [dot] org.

Anyone know of a good office or contact person where I can send the letter?

- Bob R.