1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius VSC, Brake, Master Warning, and Hybrid Light on - HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nai1ed, Feb 28, 2013.

1. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just purchased this vehicle from a private owner, and the first day everything seemed fine. After a few days I get all these warning lights - Master Warning (Red Triangle !), VSC, and the Brake Light, plus the NAV screen shows the red car with ! in it. The car seems to run just fine though. I don't notice any performance issues. One thing I did notice when I purchased the vehicle, the previous owner had a batter charger in the trunk before he took it out. Now I've check the batter using the LAN Monitor and it shows like 12.1 volts when I turned the car on (not started). I decided to give the batter a deep charge overnight (2 amp charge) after disconnecting NEG terminal from car. It cleared the codes for a little while, but then they came back. My ODB II tester shows no codes, only codes I found on the LAN Monitor was for NAVI - 01-e3 sub 00-5. I really need help trying to troubleshoot this. I don't want to bring to dealer and get soaked for some easy fix.

Do I need to replace the 12v Battery? They cost like $200, so I want to be sure that's the problem.

Thanks

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to check the battery with a load on, like headlights, after it has sat over night. Then check the value with car in ready mode. So three values are needed, the one you reported (12.1V), under load, and car in ready mode.

I will bet the battery is original, and that it is at the end of its life. It can cause strange things to happen.

That may not be all. Your code reader won't read any of the Prius specific codes, so you need to get a scan by the dealer, or get one that that does the job. If the inverter coolant pump has not been replaced, it probably needs to be done. Post any info back here. Also, place your location in your profile to help with further recommendations.

LukUsc likes this.
  3. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the response. Yesterday I noticed my VSC and Brake light went out, but still had the master warning light. I checked the battery after it sat in the parking lot all day, and it showed 11.9 to 11.8 if I pushed the POWER button twice (without the brakes). Today I'm driving my truck and I put the Prius on the charger again. This time I'll turn off the Smart Key Entry and see if the warning lights come back. I just want to be sure before I make any purchases, or take it to a dealer.

Also, I live in Maine.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, at 11.8V, that battery has reached it's end of life. You won't get more than 6 years of life from a battery, and have a reliable vehicle. At that point there is a good chance for internal plate to plate short, which is not recoverable.

5. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do I check the Inverter Pump? I hear some kind of pump run after shutting the car off, sounds like my garbage disposal.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The inverter pump is checked by taking off the cap from the coolant reservoir, which is next to the inverter on top of the engine. With the car in ready mode, look for ripples on the surface of the liquid. If none, then the pump has failed.

The pump you hear after shutdown is the coolant heat storage pump. It takes hot coolant from the engine and stores it in a thermos for later use in preheating the engine at the next start up. It should sound smooth. If it sounds like there are bubbles in the system, then perhaps the engine coolant loop has not been properly purged. Those pumps have also been known to fail, but they do not cause performance issues, just a delay in engine warm up.

7. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I gave the battery a good deep charge, cleared the system, disabled the wireless key entry and no warning lights now. So I guess I'll be getting a new battery. Also, my inverter pump seems to be working ok.

Only thing I'm worried about now is how it will handle the roads here in Maine. Roads here are very rough. I've replaced 3 ball-joints on my Dodge Ram Pickup so far. Worried the Prius will brake in half on these roads, but I have seen a few of them around.

8. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so I changed my battery (new optima), and I'm still getting these warning lights. I'm getting Brake, ABS, and VSC, plus the red triangle and Hybrid warning on the display. I can't get any codes when using Torque Pro, so I'm thinking it might be a wheel sensor or something. Is there an easy way to check the sensors on the wheels?

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get blink codes from the ABS system by shorting Pins 4 and 13 of the DLC3 connector. Search for "ABS blink codes", for ex:

ABS, VSC Lights... Weird!! | PriusChat

It is very important to get the DTC's that are present before making any decisions. Not sure why Torque does not read anything. Get the "mini VCI" on eBay, it will read the ABS codes.

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, mail delivery on our bumpy, rocky roads is via Prius, and it has fared OK in terms of suspension and under body. Just go slowly and pick the best line whenever possible. 4wd pickups that bang along quickly, full of stuff, do wear out ball joints here as well.

11. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I grabbed the codes, so where can I get the reference list for these codes?

12. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The blink codes are in the service manual. I can look them up if you list what you have. There's a bunch of them. The service manual for the brake control system is on the Toyota tech site. Not sure where else.

The codes are in groups of fast blinks, separated by 2.5sec. pauses, which result in 1, 2, or 3 digit codes, blinked out sequentially in ascending order. For example, the speed sensors have a range of DTC's: 31-39, with additional INF codes 251->262, 265->275, 277->288, 290->301 for the four different wheels.

13. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, here are the codes I have. Brake - 36 , ABS - 95, VSC - 53

14. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    DTC 36 - Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Front Speed Sensor LH
    That would seen like your intuition is correct. Pull the left front wheel and have a look.

I don't see those ABS or VSC codes in my data. Maybe someone else can chime in here. But they may be related, so fixing the first may turn off the others.

15. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that wheel. I was having issue with the wheel's inside plastic wheel well cover. It kept coming loose and rubbing up my wheel. The plastic seems cheap, and barely holds in place.

16. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, this is strange. I washed my car today, and when I left all the warning lights were gone. Hopefully this solved the problem, but if my car needed a bath, it should have told me. :)

17. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be a late response but i got the same lights while using my elm327. I got a defective unit making the codes pop up every time i started the car. I removed the connector and the vsc/abs ligths went away. I did not get the master light though.

18. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found out that I had a small leak in my upper radiator hose. It was spraying antifreeze on the Motor Drive sensor causing it to trip.