1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius with 54,000 miles warning lights today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by That_Prius_Car, Mar 3, 2015.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I went to the dealer today. They had the car for 2 hours and came back and said there wasn't a current issue, and that the code was stored in the cars computer as history, but not a current issue.

They said the battery may be getting weak which explains the battery going from full to empty every 25 seconds and the battery fan on full blast. They don't recommend replacing it because it's not a confirmed failure.

I called Toyota customer service and they said if the dealer didn't confirm failure than what do I want from them.

Here's the paper work... I'm so mad.

Light came back on a little bit ago. Taking it back tomorrow.

Attached Files:

#21 That_Prius_Car, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your first post.... It's the original 12v battery, an 06'

Irregardless of your findings about a 9 year old battery, replace it, and when you buy the battery get the scangauge2 to read your own codes and reset oil meter lights.

After the new 12v if you have lights that your scan gauge and the astute members of this ethereal lounge can't diagnose, there's always the dealer.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE! Toyota has been talking back and fourth with the dealer where I bought the car and basically, they stand behind me 100% and we are just waiting for the thumbs up from the warranty lady, and we're set. It'll be replaced free of charge.

Also, 12v battery is fine. Actually, it's not the original like I originally thought apparently. They tested it and it performed well and healthy.

The HV battery is shot though. In the dealer diagnosis, it states (HV BATTERY BANK #4 BECOMES WEAK).

I'm not having it replaced from my nearest dealership though, I'm having it replaced from the dealer where I bought the car. It's the same dealer where the car was also bought brand-new in 06' and has a strong service history behind it for the 50,000 miles it has. I'm not ever going to my nearest dealer again. Ever.

My review on Google for Jim Robinson Toyota.

"I actually have several complaints about this dealership. Firstly dating back to 2011 when I had my Prius' brakes serviced. The service done to the actual car was good, but when I walked into the service department to get my keys, I plainly heard one of the service writers making making some interesting "comments" about me, to which when he noticed I was standing in the room, things got quite awkward. Nevertheless, I shrugged it off.

Strike two is summer, 2013. I was car shopping and looking to trade my Prius in on a new Prius. Now, I'm 20 years old, so I'm rather young which is why I'm guessing no one bothered to talk or even look my direction. When I walked into the dealer, expecting to be greeted by a motivated salesperson, I got the cold shoulder. It was literally like pulling teeth for someone to help me. By the time someone finally was assigned to me, they were totally unmotivated to sell. Unwilling to work with me whatsoever. It was such a dry, uncomfortable environment. After they offered me a crappy deal, I drove over to the Honda dealer and leased a new Honda Insight. Much more pleasant buying experience. Everyone was very motivated, excited, offered me beverages and snacks, threw in some free accessories, and I left there that night a happy customer.

I'd say if you're a middle aged or older customer, you'll have no issues, but if you're a younger buyer, they won't give you the time of day. It's best you go to Pittsburgh or somewhere else for the better buying experience & more competitive prices. I hate to say that, because reading from the reviews, one would assume a person wouldn't have had consistent bad experiences.

UPDATE: 03/2015
    My partners 2006 Prius had some warning lights appear, in which we had to bring it to the closest dealership where we live. Which is Jim Robinson. The first time the code was read, it was a false reading (fault on my part due to me reading the code myself with a scan tool before bringing it in.) They reset the code and $106.00 later, I was on my way. Later that day, the error message appeared again to which the next day, I brought it back to the service department and as I walked into the office, stating the warning message came back on, the service adviser then literally huffed and puffed, looked up to the ceiling and shook his head, before walking over to the appointment book and throwing the pages open and saying in an annoyed tone that it would be a couple days before they could look at it.

When I came back, the code was read and the issue was found. I have a case going with Toyota customer service about replacing the part and setting up pricing and whatnot for an out of warranty claim. Collin, the Toyota customer service gentleman has been very helpful and has kept me in the loop of everything. He said he's tried to reach the dealership several times a day, to which he is directed to the service department where no one has answered and there is also no voice mail capability for him to leave a message. Collin said "I don't know how they get along in 2015 with no voice mail... and no one ever answers. They must be operating in a different year..."

So, we bit the bullet and decided to use the dealership where Jason and I bought the car which is farther away (about 2 hours) in PA. (Given the lack of customer service at Jim Robinson, it was worth the 2 hour drive to a different dealer that has excellent ratings.) Collin presented the case to them and the service adviser was very enthusiastic to help assist. They will be replacing the part free of charge"

#23 That_Prius_Car, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.