1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius with Check Engine Light - P0420 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ytsejamer1, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey all,

So today my CEL came on. I immediately looked at my mileage and I was EXACTLY at 500m past my oil change the other day. I checked the dip stick and lo and behold, it was about 3/4" past the full marker. I took it back to the oil change place and had them drain it down to a good level.

I had driven from NH to NY this week. I filled up my gas tank on my way home from NY. Gas cap was on nice and tight for sure.

The code is still on (not sure how many miles or drive cycles is required) for something to clear. I figured it was perhaps due to too much oil added. I decided a few hours later to take it to AutoZone and grab the diagnostic code. It's a P0420 code (Cat System efficiency below threshold: Air leak in exhaust before rear HO2S, AF Sensor Error, Fuel System Fault, Faulty Catalytic Converter).

I checked the gas cap again and all looks fine. Mileage is good, no drops, no fluid levels below where they should be, car is making all the noises it usually does after shutting it off, stop/start on the engine is smooth, no lagging performance, etc. I did a visual inspection of the exhaust system...everything looks solid, nothing rusted out or falling apart.

I did a few searches and I'm hoping I don't have a faulty cat. I'm in NH...so likely under the federal 80k warranty. I currently have 138,310 miles on the car.

Joekool10s likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've read on here about how over-filling with engine oil causes oil instead of crankcase fumes to get into the throttle body and then from there it can impact the catalytic converter. I'm sure if you do some searching on here you'll find lots more info...

[email protected] likes this.
  3. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the response. Luckily after about the tenth time starting the car after draining some oil, the light went out. I will be keeping my eye on it.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Always* check the oil level yourself before driving away from every oil change. This can prevent all kinds of grief.

5. Joekool10s

Joekool10s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius which I bought brand new back in November 2006. I currently have a little over 290,000 miles on it, mostly highway miles. I noticed the "check engine light" come on after taking it to a Toyota service center. The light was not there before I had a routine oil change for my car. The light actually came about 5 miles after leaving the service center so i immediately turned around and returned to toyota. They told me my catalytic converter has to be replaced. I was furious not because of what they told me but rather the timing of the problem surfacing after an oil change. Could they have tweaked something in order to generate more income? I've taken good care of my prius that's why i'm upset i now have to deal with this. I asked my brother-in-law to check it with this new monitoring gadget he bought to find out what the code is and sure enough it's P0420. I've been driving my car and I noticed the check engine light goes on about 80 miles after an oil change but goes off after about 200 miles, then on again for a period of time, and that cycle has been going on now for about 2,000 miles. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the obvious idea is that the catalytic converter has failed, which would not be a surprise considering the car has logged 290K miles. The light is turning on & off because the catalytic converter is operating marginally.

You might try replacing the air/fuel ratio sensor which is upstream of the catalytic converter to see if that would help. That sensor provides feedback to the engine ECU so it can manage the fuel injectors.

The engine ECU also compares output from that sensor to the oxygen sensor output which is downstream from the catalytic converter, to assess catalytic converter efficiency.

The air/fuel ratio sensor is less costly than the catalytic converter, and a new sensor may help the engine ECU to decide that the catalytic converter is "good enough" to keep DTC P0420 from being logged.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check the oil level? Is it overly full? Using exactly 3 1/2 quarts of oil is important in these kinds of cars, but the dealers would rather not have to add more oil later so they add a bit extra, which can lower mpg, or if way too full can dirty up/damage throttle body and possibly Catalytic converter...

8. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, however, I would like to suggest the oxygen sensor also be replaced before the catalytic converter. I have seen this work in the past (not with Prii, however, I have not seen many Prii with P0420s) plus the operation of the catalytic converter depends on the operation of those sensors. I always recommend replacement of all air/fuel ratio and oxygen sensors before catalytic converter replacement.

Note: Many people mistakenly say that the rear oxygen sensor only monitors the operation of the catalytic converter. THIS IS INCORRECT! It is a known fact (not known by all) that Toyota uses both the front and rear oxygen sensor signals in their fuel strategy.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the rear oxygen sensor should also be replaced, to see whether that helps the engine ECU to decide that the catalytic converter is in "good enough" condition.

The Prius repair manual provides this description of Active Air-Fuel Ratio Control, which appears to be implemented only for a 15-20 second period when the engine is warm. If any of the three listed DTCs are logged by the engine ECU, that points to the rear oxygen sensor as a candidate for replacement:

"Active Air-Fuel Ratio Control
    Usually the ECM performs the air-fuel ratio control so that the A/F sensor output indicates a near stoichiometric air-fuel ratio. This vehicle includes ”active air-fuel ratio control” besides the regular air-fuel ratio control.
    The ECM performs the ”active air-fuel ratio control” to detect deterioration in a catalyst and the heated oxygen sensor malfunction. (Refer to the diagram below)
    The ”Active air-fuel ratio control” is performed for approximately 15 to 20 seconds during a vehicle driving with a warm engine. Under the ”active air-fuel ratio control”, the air-fuel ratio is forcibly regulated to go LEAN or RICH by the ECM.
    If the ECM detects malfunction, it is recorded in the following DTCs: DTC P0136 (Abnormal Voltage Output), DTC P0137 (Circuit Open) and P0138 (Circuit Short)."

That test basically gives the rear oxygen sensor a chance to demonstrate that it is working, as the lean or rich A/F mix should cause the sensor's output voltage to decrease or increase as appropriate. If the voltage doesn't change as much as it should, the engine ECU logs the appropriate DTC.

10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my opinion, a worn (slow responding) oxygen sensor would, in theory, mask a inefficient converter. The reason I would replace it (both sensors) is to make sure the correct ratio of air and fuel is going into the converter as this is essential for proper operation. In other words, we want to make sure the poor catalytic performance is not due to a marginally performing sensor.

Lets not forget that vehicles often have problems without lights or codes showing up.

11. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    drat...it came back. I thought I was in the clear. Looks like some sensors may need some attention. I think I'll look into that first.

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear, but yes changing out sensors first seems wise... Of course it'd be even smarter if their was a way to pull the existing sensor and figure out how to test it to make sure its working properly rather than just swapping them out... Anyone else on here know what has to happen to test these sensors?

13. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just got the same DTC for the second time, so I guess it is not a fluke. I have been swamped with other things right now (my home hot water heater starting leaking today!) so I will problably put off working on this for a while, the car runs fine, and my inspection is not due until July, so I have no pressure to get it done soon. I did check the O2 sensor with the AuteEnginuity, but it does not seem to have inputs for both sensors. When I have time, I will try and run the test outlined in the repair manual, but I might just replace the sensors. The first thing to do I suppose is to look under the car and make sure there are no obvious exhaust leaks. The downstream sensor is about $70 but the upstream is twice as much. I have 65K miles, not sure if this is a warranty repair, but if it is the CAT, it would be.

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well...the Cat was replaced today. I took it into the garage and the sensors had checked out just fine. DAMN. I had a 15% discount and even without that...the dealership was the cheapest place for the OEM replacement. A couple garages gave me aftermarket options but even then...they were only $300-$400 cheaper than OEM at the dealership. I figured at that point...whatever.

How long do I have under the federal emissions warranty. The dealership says it's unlimited mileage or 12 months...whichever comes first. (I think 12months is going to win that contest) From what I was able to gather...Cats are 8yr/80K and other emission sensors are 2yr/24k. (http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt). However, I'm not sure if that covers only the original one with the car or original AND any OEM replacement.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer is correct. Replacement parts are warranted for the balance of the original vehicle warranty (which in your case has expired) or the one-year period, whichever is longer.

16. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear that. My car's CEL has not come back on since I reset it, but I expect it will take 1 to 2 weeks.
    We will see.

17. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    BAck on today. No time to look at it until next weekend.

18. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I emailed someone at the EPA who had written up some FAQ that I ran across. He wrote back fairly quickly indicating that the replacement cat federal warranty is good for 12K/1Yr. Essentially, Toyota is giving you as many miles as you want, within one year. For what the parts cost, one would think they'd warranty it for longer period of time..in my opinion anyways.

The non-dealership garage that quoted OEM replacement was offering a 2yr/24K warranty on it. *shrugs*

19. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I ran some tests yesterday. It looks like the CAT is not working. According to page ES187 of the manual, the heated oxegen sesnor after the catalyst should be stable, but is was jumping around. I could not locate the sensor before the CAT on my Autoenginuity. Anyone familiar with that? I think with 67000 miles, this should be under warranty, but I really don't trust the dealer.