1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius wont start after 3 weeks of idle time; no smart key (jump starting didnt work)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rgrajanin, Apr 13, 2013.

1. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was on vacation during march first week and my 2006 prius didnt start after that. I do not have the smart key with me and have only the manual key. I just called the Toyota as it is a certified vehicle, they tried jump starting but it did not work. Does the car needs the Smartkey to be inserted in the fob? I have it in my city where i live 200miles away. (parked car in my friends place). If it does not need smart key in fob, does the 12v battery is dead? Please advise and thank you for any help provided.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car definitely needs the Smart fob to be located in the passenger compartment, if you expect the Prius to become READY.

If you are asking whether the Smart fob needs to be inserted into the slot on the dashboard, this is not required unless the fob battery is dead.

3. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Pat, I understand that the engine will not start during jump starting, if the smart key is not there near by. But then, what is the use of the manual key without the smart key?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The point of the manual key is to allow you to open the driver's side door lock, if the 12V battery is dead and the electric lock mechanism is inoperative.

The manual key is merely a piece of metal and plastic and does not satisfy the Prius immobilizer ECU's requirement to have the Smart fob in the passenger compartment before the immobilizer ECU will allow the car to start.

cwerdna likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep. Other uses of the mechanical key are to unlock the driver's door if the fob battery is dead or if you don't want the car making beeps when you lock/unlock.

Hopefully the OP didn't reverse polarity when trying to jump, as that could lead to a 4-digit price tag to repair. If the OP's on the original 12 volt, it needs replacement now.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  6. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This clarifies.. Thanks a lot for quick response.