1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius won't start, battery dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Miah, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Miah

Miah New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to help jump-start someone else's car the other day, with the result that my 2006 Prius also died. Someone else jump-started my car, but for the next few days it was being weird and a couple of times gave me the "P lock is abnormal park on a flat surface and fully engage parking brake" error. I can't remember exactly what I did, just fiddled with it until it would go.

Then the other day, as I got out of my car and pulled the key fob out of the key slot (the fob's battery has been dead, but I replaced it the other day), all the lights went dead on the dash. I had other things to do, so I moved along, but when I came back to drive it the next day, everything was still dead in the car, not even a single light on in the dash. It doesn't respond to anything I do. I've tried jump-starting it several times, but no dice. I bought it used 6 months ago and the guy I bought it from said they had replaced the hybrid battery with a Toyota battery only a year or so before...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    here we go again....never, ever use a prius to jump start another car. The 12v battery on a prius merely powers up the electronics. It's 12v system is not designed to accommodate the current load required to spin an engine to start it. On a Prius, the big HV battery is what spins the transaxle/engine for ignition.

take a read through this thread, it may help you to locate your problem. You may have blown the 120 amp fusible link at the 12v + terminal, or maybe killed the 12v if it was already marginal.

Where did you connect the jumper cables?

12volt battery/jump starting issues, help! | PriusChat

SFO likes this.