1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dejatag, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Dejatag

Dejatag New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

My 2006 Prius will not turn on. I was driving around for around 30 minutes when I parked at a Target parking lot. I was sitting in it with the car on for no more than 5 minutes when all of a sudden the car turned off as if I had pressed the off button. I then tried to turn the car back on but nothing happened. I've tried plugging the fob into the car itself and that doesn't seem to fix it. I had the starter battery replaced in 2018 but it reads that it has 12V so that's not the issue (from my understanding). I disconnected the 12V and reconnected it a few minutes later which did nothing. I tried jumping it but that did nothing. My brake lights, door lights, and door locks still work.

It has ~150k miles on it and was working fine up until it shut itself off. Does anyone know what could be the problem or what I can do to try and get it turned on again?

Mr. Marty likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Have you checked all of the fuses?
    Do you have any OBD2 codes (DTCs) that you can post here in this thread for additional guidance?

If you don't have a DIY attitude, you may want to contact Steve Keith at Phoenix Hybrids.. Tell him PriusChat sent you, and that we miss him.

PHOENIX HYBRID BATTERIES

4847 East Gary Street Mesa, AZ 85205
    Call us at 602-730-4967
    email us at: [email protected]

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Possibly an AM2 fuse issue.

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  4. Ali1214

Ali1214 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had the same problem and my 12volt battery was showing 12 volts, first tried with the jumper cable but nothing happened. It really should be 13.4 to 13.7 volts. I replaced the battery and the car started.

5. Mr. Marty

Mr. Marty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi there,

I just got over this issue. My daughter was driving along and all of a sudden everything went black. She said the turn signal did not work, but the 4 way flashers did. We had it towed to the dealership. I checked on this forum and the most common problem was the inverter coolant pump. I had just done a preventative maintenance on the coolant pump, and installed an aftermarket pump I got off of RockAuto. This replacement evidently seized and dead shorted after about 2000 miles of use (maybe 60 hours?). The problem was the shorted pump was taking out fuse number AM2. This is very dangerous and worthy of a recall. They could easily solve by putting a fuse in line with the pump so you get the big red triangle warning instead of complete blackout and coast to a stop regardless of where you are.

How did you solve your issue?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a recall to replace the inverter coolant pump so it does not short out but they cannot control how aftermarket pumps are made.

SFO likes this.
  7. Mr. Marty

Mr. Marty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah ha. Will have to let the manufacturer know about this change. A pump can short out regardless of design... the fact that this circuit is not protected by a fuse apart from the main is a design flaw. If there was an accident as a result of this, I still would have held Toyota responsible (or tried to) because they didn't properly protect the circuit from shorting. NTSB should be made aware.