1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius wuth p1121 error code and long trip tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ValleyBoy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a 2006 prius whose check engine light just came on 1 hour ago. I had it diagnosed and it is giving me the p1121 code, or the coolant flow control valve. I checked the coolant level and it was very low. I added fluid, but the CEL is still on. I have to make an 11 hour trip tomorrow WITHOUT FAIL!!! Can I drive this car or do I risk major damage?

2. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm pretty sure that this valve only controls flow into the thermos (the buzzing you hear when you shut the car off. This light could also be caused by low coolant. I would be more worried about where your coolant went. Look in the area of the water pump for leakage. If you find no leaks, you should be ok on your trip, the engine might take a little longer to warm up in cold weather.

3. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

Anybody have anything else they can add?

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a code.
    You were abnormally low on coolant.
    Yes, you risk damage.

Your vehicle, your choice. If the trip was an absolute must? I'd rent a vehicle. But until I knew where the coolant went, and why? I certainly wouldn't want to hop in and take a long road trip.

koolingit likes this.
  5. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

There is no coolant leak that I can see. I hadn't added to it in LONG time.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remove the large black plastic panel over the radiator for access to the radiator cap. There are six plastic fasteners, rotate each fastener using a Philips screwdriver while exerting upwards pressure on the panel to pop the fastener out.

Remove the cap and see if there is any need to add coolant to the radiator itself.

If you are sure that P1121 is the only DTC logged, then you can take your road trip. However you should bring the coolant along and check coolant level when you stop for fueling.

The Electric Me likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your vehicle, your choice.

I'd at least take the advice of Patrick Wong. -Check the coolant level in the radiator and travel with a supply, recheck as you travel.

On the "Positive" side, you are likely to find out pretty quickly if you have a bigger problem.

I'm just conservative in a situation like this. If I can negate or minimize the risk I'd do it. An 11 hour road trip is a bad time to discover that you have missed a fluid leak or have a more serious problem.

I'm taking a pretty simple approach. Until you are absolutely sure as to what caused the code and the low coolant level, you are taking a gamble with an 11 hour road trip. Therefore the only answer at this point to the question "Do I risk major damage?" is Yes.

If putting off the trip is NOT an option and/or renting a vehicle specifically for that trip is also not a viable option, then the advice to check your coolant level and travel with a supply and recheck, probably is minimizing the risk. The only problem being is that is a LOT of driving to do, without a totally definitive answer as to what may be going on.

Best of luck.

8. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

I did as you said and the radiator was not low. Apparently only the reservoir was low. The only code that AutoZone's diagnostic showed was p1121.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then you should be good to go on your trip. Again I would encourage you to check engine coolant level (and engine oil level for that matter) when you stop for gas. Then when you return home, make plans to have the engine coolant valve replaced at a convenient time.

10. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In a similar vein: does anyone know how long a Prius can last running it out of oil? It'd be an interesting experiment!

11. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but it was a legitimate question. Thanks to all for your help.

12. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not being sarcastic.

But check back in and let us know how the road trip went, and whether anything happened.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind the correct fluid is the Toyota special red fluid which gives you pink salts on the water pump as a sign of leaking. Mine leaked for a while but is now holding at 125k miles. I wonder if the other poster meant if it could run without antifreeze instead of oil.

14. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

Ok guys, I decided not to risk it and rented a car. $90 is cheaper than a blown engine. My question is, what can I expect to be charged, or what range is acceptable for this type of repair?

15. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

Here's the latest. We got in the Prius this morning to drive it to the dealership and the CEL was off. We drove it around for 20 minutes and it did not turn back on. What's going on?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine coolant flow valve decided to get unstuck (for now.)

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to read some of Patrick's threads on refilling with coolant. You can get air stuck in system, which heard by putting on the heat on and listening for gurgles. Maybe you need some time for the added coolant to work through the system air locks. Also did you add the right coolant?

18. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

Exactly! Just this afternoon, it stuck again! I'm taking it in tomorrow. :(

19. ValleyBoy

ValleyBoy Junior Member

I did. I added the Toyota factory coolant. Expensive stuff.

20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well glad to hear the road trip went well.
    And now just good luck with the coolant flow valve.

I can't give you much of an answer here, as I have no idea what repair costs for that should range.