1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Rear Brake Reassembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cogit8, Jun 19, 2013.

1. cogit8

cogit8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I took the rear brakes apart without paying close enough attention. My problem began when I noticed the rear brake self adjusters' forks were not symmetrical. Although both have a deep slot and a shallower 'shoulder' between the 2 tines of the fork, they are different depths and the 'tines' are different lengths, so there are four ways to reassemble them: both deep slots positioned toward the dust shield, both deep slots positioned away from the dust shield, deep slot on the starwheel end positioned toward the dust shield with the deep slot on the other end positioned away from the dust shield, or deep slot on the starwheel end positioned away from the dust shield with the deep slot on the other end positioned toward the dust shield. I've seen photos with the adjusters in place, but the slot positions are not clear. I've seen photos of the adjusters off, but no indications of how they fit on the shoes. Can't find a diagram or instructions anywhere. Help please.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this is why (in the future) it would be better to work on one side at a time, and complete that side before starting the other side - so you have an assembled reference to look at. Also take photos before starting the work.

techinfo.toyota.com is where you can find Toyota repair manual info. There is an exploded parts diagram as well as several diagrams of the partially assembled brake system. One in particular shows how the "parking brake shoe strut set" (which is what the rear brake adjuster is called) is positioned vs. the backing plate. Good luck.