1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006: Replacing 3 way valve & coolant @ 230k, what else?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PapaGrande, Jul 19, 2016.

1. PapaGrande

PapaGrande New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be doing the work myself.

2006 Prius approaching 230k, seems to have been very well maintained

Has had nothing but oil changes in the 20k I've owned the car. Had the inverter coolant pump replaced right when I got it, so that coolant should be fine. Oil was changed 1k ago.

Got P1121 code.Checked coolant level,was fine. Cleared code, came back 2k later. Coolant level still fine. So I figure I need to replace the 3 Way Coolant Control Valve.

Since I don't when the coolant was last changed, I'm going to replace that as well (instead of pinching the hoses to conserve coolant). Looks like I have to pull the Serpentine Belt, so might as well replace the belt. Have read on this site about the importance of changing the PCV Valve. Don't know when it was changed, so might as well change it now. Will check to make sure all the hoses seem to be in good shape. Since I'll have the coolant drained,might as well change out the Thermostat as well since it is likely the original.

1) 3 Way Coolant Control Valve (& gasket)
    2) Coolant
    3) Thermostat (& gasket)
    4) Serpentine Belt
    5) Hoses (if necessary)
    6) PCV Valve (while I'm under the hood)

Is there any danger to driving the car until I get the time to do the replacement?

Anything else I should be looking to replace for a car of this vintage?
    (tires & brakes seem to be in good shape, do need to rotate soon)

Note: Car seems to make a bit more noise on hard acceleration than it did when I first got it & the Tire Pressure light has been on for 10k (I check tire pressure regularly, and there doesn't seem to be a problem)

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3 way valve does not require belt removal. Just detach hoses and install new unit, refill coolant after.

No danger in driving it until you're ready

3. PapaGrande

PapaGrande New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

OK, thanks. Saw a video where the guy pulled off the Serpentine Belt. He might have done it just to improve visibility for the camera.

Also forgot to mention I've already replaced the Air Filter (which wasn't too bad) & Cabin Air Filter (which was disgusting).

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The belt removal video is for a water pump

5. PapaGrande

PapaGrande New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, then I'm very happy I came here first. Even the parts guy at the local Toyota dealership gave me the price for a water pump rather than the 3 way valve. They probably don't sell many of the 3 way valves any more. Anyone have the actual Toyota part# handy?

Also looks like I should change Transaxle Fluid while I have the car jacked up too. One guy mentioned that it would be best to have all 4 corners on jack stands. So I'll be rotating the tires while it's jacked up.

6. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Toyota Part #
    VALVE ASSY, WATER W/ 1667021010
    I just had to replace mine about a month ago and had to give them part #. It is listed as Water Valve instead of coolant control valve which totally confused the parts manager. Tech came by and pulled spare off shelf. If buying from Toyota dealer do some google searching for best dealer price. They wanted over $72, got them to match Olathe Toyota's price of $59 plus.