1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 SKS key; 1 key; buttons don't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gptoyz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. gptoyz

gptoyz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I just bought my friend's 06 Prius to supplement my C. With 207k miles, the car has been great. He had only one SKS key but the buttons don't work. I think the panic works because it's activated the alarm which I can't shut off.

The key works in the slot and the proximity features work:
    - push button lock
    - hand unlock
    - not in slot push button start

The led does work when I'm near the car.

I replaced the battery in the key and the 12v on the car has 12.2v with the lights on

Right now, I only have 1 key, I'm planning to grab another off of eBay when I get a chance. I was going to try the chicken dance but wanted to make sure that I can't accidentally deregister the key or lose any more functionality.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even when key is away from the car pressing lock or unlock button should get the red light in the key light up. If it doesn’t maybe you just have a stuck down button on key. They can be force up with a knife or correctly fixed by just changing the key shell.

3. gptoyz

gptoyz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The buttons physically press but they don't do anything

iPhone ?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you feel the actual switch under rubber working? If not try to leaver the sides of the rubber to get the buttons up a bit.
    In any case red light on the key not lightin when pressing buttons profess that the fault is in your key.

5. gptoyz

gptoyz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He key is pretty rough, but the tactile response is there so I'm pretty sure you are correct in that the key itself is probably damaged. The buttons are exposed.

iPhone ?

6. gptoyz

gptoyz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the rape button definitely works and triggers the led

iPhone ?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The lock/unlock contacts on the circuit board could be insulated with pocket lint as the protective cover has worn through. You could open up the fob and clean the circuit board (with particular focus on the lock/unlock buttons) with some PCB cleaner. While you have it open check at the front of the bottom half of the case for a rectangular piece of what looks like plastic. This is the RFID chip that is needed to start the car when the key is inserted. if you can get the buttons to work, buy a new shell case off fleabay/Amazon and swap the innards (including the RFID chip) over to the new case.
    I read where it was done (loosing functionality), but only by not following the correct procedure. However, you need a fully functioning key fob to do the chicken dance correctly, and pushing the lock/unlock buttons is a key part of the procedure at the end, so if they don't work you cannot complete the procedure. Make sure the lock/unlock works correctly on your car before trying the "chicken dance".

8. gptoyz

gptoyz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So quick update, the key does work ... sort of....I guess the rape button has something in it that's causing it to sometimes stick or something. So if I wiggle it around it will eventually allow the other 2 buttons to work. it's very annoying because the alarm button is hyper sensitive