1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Tax Credit Qualifications?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ilusnforc, May 11, 2006.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2006 Prius last weekend. My Mom is also going to have her name on the title and is co-signing on the financing. The problem is that I live in Utah and she lives in Texas, does anything matter that it has a Utah address but she lives in Texas? I want her to take the Tax Credit because I don't have enough tax liability to take full advantage of it and she does. She had agreed before I bought the car that she would do it, so I put my non-refundable $500 down on the order and the car came in last Friday, now she is backing out because the paperwork where she has to sign to have her name on the title has a Utah address in order to register the vehicle in Utah. What I am understanding is that the IRS will not have any way of knowing whether she is driving the car or if I am, it doesn't matter what state the car is registered in because some people live in several different states. Even though she lives in Texas she could also live in Utah and just happen to register it while she is in Utah and it wouldn't matter either way. What if I register it here, theoretically drive it to Texas where she can also drive it, doesn't that mean that she qualifies for the Tax Credit? Does anyone agree to this or is anyone else claiming the Tax Credit the same way?

Thanks!

2. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ May 11 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]253869[/snapback]</div>
    The credit is federal, not state. It doesn't matter which state the car is registered in, as long as it is registered. For tax purposes, if I understand it correctly (I'm not a lawyer or an accountant), it goes by who's name is on the invoice from the dealer - have him put both. If there is any question, I think you can register/title the car with both names on it in most states - the address is simply a mailing address. For insurance purposes, be honest about what state the car is housed in. DMV only cares about an address so they can knock on your door if you are involved in a hit and run or a crime.

Parents buy cars for thier college bound kids all the time. If that kid lives out of state, it's not uncommon to register it in the state that the child is in so that the child can claim state residence at some point.

Steve

3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for the info. If anyone else agrees with this, or has any other opinions I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

4. Old Marine

Old Marine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ May 11 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]253969[/snapback]</div>

You need to talk to your state DMV. In Fla. the joint ownership can be with an "and" between the names, requiring both to sign if the car is sold or an "or" can be used, requiring only one signature.

5. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old Marine @ May 11 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]253971[/snapback]</div>
    Good point... ask them at the dealership. They should be able to handle it, even if it involves faxing stuff to your mom for signatures.

6. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 12 2006, 12:47 AM) [snapback]253980[/snapback]</div>
    We did some faxing at the dealer to get all the information, then they send a copy of the paperwork to her overnight for the signature. When she got it she saw a Utah address and refused to sign it because she is going around to "tax advisors" who are telling her that "you are not the original purchaser/buyer" and that she herself needs to buy the car and "lease" it to me. This is also what someone told her, "The car must have a title in Texas and registration in Texas, with my correct address, and a lease agreement to go with it, which you will probably have to carry in your car for proof that it is a leased car". I think that these "tax advisors" don't know enough about the Hybrid Tax Credits and they are telling her the hard way to do it, I think they just don't know about any other way it can be done?

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ May 12 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]254051[/snapback]</div>
    I recommend that you also consult a tax advisor or two directly.
    Her's might be right.
    Most of us on this site are neither tax advisors nor tax experts.

8. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiloran @ May 12 2006, 08:04 AM) [snapback]254053[/snapback]</div>
    I just called H & R Block, he says as long as both names are on the title either one of us (not both) can take the tax credit and that the address does not matter. He thinks that the IRS will not even see an address, but if they want to do an audit they may want to see the title to the car to be sure that persons name is on the title indicating that they own the car, which her name will be on the title.

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ May 12 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]254065[/snapback]</div>
    According to my friend, who is a financial/tax advisor, regular folk are held to a more forgiven standard than professional tax preparers.
    Having gotten this advise from H&R block, you should be covered, at the very least in regard to penalties, should the advice turn out to be incorrect.
    (It wouldn't hurt to get it in writing, just in case.)

10. jonlink

jonlink New Member

Let me just add one thing.
    Be aware of any state tax credit implications. They can be significant.
    If she intends to take a credit in Texas (I have no idea whether one exists there or not, since we don't have clients in TX), then your mom's advisors are likely correct about the vehicle being titled there to be entitled to the credit.

11. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonlink @ May 12 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]254194[/snapback]</div>
    Like San Diego Steve says, it's a federal Tax Credit, not state.

12. jonlink

jonlink New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ May 12 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]254364[/snapback]</div>
    There are STATE tax credits. And it therefore WILL matter in which state the car is titled and registered if you want to get a STATE tax credit. I'm an accountant, and it is important to understand tax implications at both the state and federal level. For example, West Virginia has a state tax credit for purchase of alternative energy or hybrid vehicle.
    I'm attempting to correct the misconception that there is only one credit, the federal tax credit, when in fact several states offer credits or deductions.

This link takes you to a listing of state incentives. After looking at the site, Texas section in particular, it appears that Texas doesn't offer any sort of credits, because they don't have an income tax. But, and this is an important distinction, there is a bill listed (no idea of whether it is law) that would reduce the sales/use tax on the purchase of the vehcile. It's likely that the structure of this transaction could be subject to use tax. Utah does offer an income tax credit, though.
    Best plan, though is for you to check with a tax professional in both states.
    As far as the IRS, they won't care who is taking the credit as long as both of you aren't taking the credit.

And doing some back of the napkin calculations, a single person has to make less than $32,000 to not take full advantage of the credit. I'm not asking you to disclose your income, but you should keep that in mind. So many new clients confuse the taxes that they may owe at the end of the year with their total tax liability, forgetting that there is withholding from their paychecks throughout the year.

13. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonlink @ May 12 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]254194[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, thought the poster was referring only to the federal credit.

Sounds like his moms tax advisors are referring to a business credit for leasing the vehicle and being able to have depreciation on it. That's not quite what the original intent is which is just take advantage of the $3150 while it lasts (assuming that his moms liability is sufficient enough to get it).