1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 to AWD

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by WBLY, Apr 10, 2022.

1. WBLY

WBLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm new here and own a 2006 with 213,000 miles. I love my car. I was planning on getting a 2019 or beyond with AWD a year or so ago. As you know used prices went up 60%. I'm considering a new vehicle though I have never bought one in my entire life. The local dealer says they have a nightshade coming in 1-2 months or it's 5-7 months if I order one. I still planned to drive my old prius until it drops dead (I would replace the battery with a rebuilt one. The DrPrius app estimated 54% left in the battery last summer. I would like AWD because I live in Minnesota and also drive out to the mountains to ski in the winter.

That said. I checked out a 2019 with AWD and I have some concerns in relative order:

1) The seat had NO lumbar support like my fabric 2006 does. I had a toyota rental of another model and it was similar. The dealer salesman said I could go to an aftermark place and get an air pump lumber support added for $450 or so. Does toyota really not have a seat these days with any lumbar support?

2) The cargo space is a little smaller. It's only like an inch narrower between the wheel wells. I normally keep the back seats down. I routinely put bicycles, snowboards and occasionally a 9' kayak in my current Prius. Does anyone know how a AWD 2022 compares?

2+) The 2019 AWD has a lot less storage space. Virtually none in the "trunk" below the rear panel and without a spare tire. It looks like you might be able to remove some of the styrofoam and jack/etc. holders and gain some space back?? Also, the top glove box isn't there either.

My current thinking is to continue as is and hope that my current 2006 prius lasts a year+ and then reassess. It does burn some oil at high speeds, etc. and has for awhile. 3 years ago I was assuming I could still by a good used or salvage title, prius. That is currently not the case so I was entertaining buying a new prius but that's a stretch based on my desired budget and 30K miles I put on per year.

Any intelligent comments/thoughts would be appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

bisco likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wait on 5th gen, but don't hold your breath?

(Not sure if that's intelligent, all I got... :unsure:)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want something with similar gen 2 space, you're going to have to change brands, or look at rav4h
    it doesn't look like toyota has any plans to increase prius interior spaces

4. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Go for the 2019/2020 with 15 wheels and spare as it has a lower boot than the awe

5. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Lol