1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Toyota Hybrid Prius Steering wheel not moving front tires anymore

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Juliana Varela, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Juliana Varela

Juliana Varela New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was inside my car when I was backing out of my drive way to turn out of it and I heard a knocking sound when I turned the steering wheel & when I kept going and turning the noise grew louder so I went back home and parked and turned my steering wheel to see what was going on and the knocking sounds were worse and it barely moved the steering wheel. Well today I went to go check to see what was happening with some help and I was told to move the steering wheel and it was a lot of knocking sounds and when I kept moving turning it back and forth the tires weren't moving now and I was told to do it one way and when i did that the steering wheel didn't have the stop when you turn all the way it just kept going all the way and the knocking sound just stopped and now the steering wheel will turn one way without having a stop and the wheels aren't moving to the turn now. What do you think it is??? Can I fix it myself? I really don't want to take it to Toyota and spend a lot of money because I can't afford to do that right now.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Might be the 'Prius Steering Intermediate Shaft', which had a safety recall for some vehicle years.

https://lusciousgarage.com/blog/prius_steering_intermediate_shaft_recall_c0t_-_details_for_owners/
    If that is the problem, most likely. Have you been able to locate the source of the noise?

This could be a two person job, one person slowly turns the wheel, while the other looks at or touches the shaft between the two pedals.

IMG_1686.jpg

If this inspection doesn't help locate the problem, then post again in this thread for additional guidance.
    Your steering issue may be covered by "C0T", use your VIN or license plate # to check for safety recalls or campaigns at : Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns - if the website doesn't work, then call the dealership and give them your VIN and they can tell you what is or isn't available to you (for free).

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

bisco, jerrymildred and PriusCamper like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's definitely a mechanical repair needed, possibly the intermediate shaft as SFO suggested. It might be DIYable, depending on your skills and what it turns out to be. In any case, it doesn't have to be fixed at a Toyota dealer; any competent mechanic should be able to handle it if you don't DIY, and might have a better price than the dealer. If it is covered by a recall or service campaign, then of course you won't beat the dealer's price. :)

As one extra thing, if you really were turning the wheel past where it normally stops, a new spiral cable (an electrical part just behind the steering wheel) is probably also needed now. Its normal range of motion is only between the normal stops of the steering, and it has probably been damaged/torn by exceeding that.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The wrecking yards pull the steering rack and sell it pretty quick on Gen2 Prius. It's a fairly popular used part people buy...

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep clock spring is probably shot. That intermediate shaft looks exactly as the one on my corollas of similar years and a few years earlier I have changed a few I never knew there was a recall on them they pretty much slide down slide off and pull up that sort of thing it wasn't a big deal when I remember doing this