1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Video/GPS options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by max000000, Jan 17, 2006.

1. max000000

max000000 New Member

Hello,

I am new to the forums here. My parents have a new 2006 Prius (Options Package 6), they wanted to get a GPS, but the dealer did not have that option available (not right away anyhow).

I saw this:

http://www.coastaletech.com/video_preview.htm

I am wondering if the fact that there is a Rear View Camera already means that a GPS with a video-out could be hooked up to the viewscreen, or a DVD/Computer output. What kind of modifications would be needed to do this?

Are there any particular GPS systems that would work best with this setup?

Another thing I was considering (Since we already have a spare Mac Mini) was doing an installation similar to this one done in a Ford F-150:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/02/mac...-in-ford-f-150/

If I could somehow hook a computer up to the viewscreen, is there any way I could capture the touch-screen data and send it back to the computer as a means of controlling the computer interface?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Max Heller

2. s0ulp1rat3

s0ulp1rat3 New Member

I am also waiting on my 06 Prius to come in and I have noticed that costaltech has video units available under its 2006 Prius links, but within the page for that video unit they only mention compatibility with Prius 04/05 models. I am afraid that that could be designed like that to confuse 06 owners into buying it. I am also interested to know wither their is a way to utilize the touch screen kind of like this guy did.

http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/

Also does anyone know how any of these non-wirecutting mods effect the warrenty?

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can find a GPS with composite video output, yes, it could be made to work through the backup camera input. I did a writeup in the Modifications section that shows how to force the backup camera's video input ON all the time, or as needed, and another post I made showed how to interupt the camera's video input for injecting another video source.
    Let me know if you find a GPS that does that, I've been looking for one. :D

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The CAN-View lets you put the video on all the time. I have tried it a few times but the camera is so wide angle that the only thing I can use it for is lane changing to check the blind spot. You just hit the Audio button twice and the camera is on.

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Mar 24 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]229665[/snapback]</div>
    Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.garmin.com/products/gvn52/

6. climateguy

climateguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Mar 24 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]229665[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you missed this thread, keydiver? You've been looking for a GPS, I've been looking for a guinea pig! ;) I keep thinking sl7vk is going to be the brave soul, but so far no luck! B)

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(climateguy @ Sep 14 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]319323[/snapback]</div>
    Buying it isn't what worries me.... It's ripping apart the freaking dash, splitting the rear camera line and all that jazz that has me worried. The wife doesn't care about the 450 or so for the unit, but seeing me under the dash with wires spliced and hanging all over the place..... I can almost hear it coming.... :rolleyes:

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Sep 14 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]319492[/snapback]</div>

The dash comes apart quite easily. The only frsutrating part is keeping the panels safe so they dont get scratched.

9. climateguy

climateguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Sep 14 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]319492[/snapback]</div>
    I have the opposite problem...I've already been under the dash (and done keydiver's on-demand rear camera mod), but am reluctant to part with the $450. Too bad SLC's not closer, or you could buy it and I'd install it for you! (Then your wife could yell at ME when it doesn't work! :D )

10. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(climateguy @ Sep 14 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]319748[/snapback]</div>
    Be carefull what you wish for. Haven't been to Sante Fe in a while, and we're always looking to take the Pri on a roadtrip!

11. go4less

go4less New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am waiting for my 2008 and have been looking for after market gps and back up camera-(to keep my mind occupied ) I would like to get a gps (bluetooth) with av input so I can install a backup camera with it. I just got home from Best Buy and Future shop and they do not know of any gps's with av input....has anyone had any luck with this?

12. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius