1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 160k Red Triangle + others

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BRBRerolling, Jan 28, 2020.

1. BRBRerolling

BRBRerolling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey y'all. I hope you can give me ideas before I take my baby in for diagnosis. 160k miles, salvage title, bumped in rear end but repaired prior to purchase

TL;DR version: the lights that are on are red triangle, hybrid warning system, maintenance, brake, VSC, check engine. Dash indicates that sometimes battery charges and sometimes it doesn't; I can definitely tell a difference in performance, and while I'm not familiar with Prius workings, it feels like it could be a "limp mode" of sorts. It can get up to speed, but it takes a bit of effort. Additionally, it sometimes does a thing where it will "stick" at a certain speed, almost as though the accelerator were stuck. It will stop with brake usage, but when I lift off the brake it'll go straight back to the speed it is "stuck" at(around 30).

I'll provide the details I have in the order I remember them, although I don't know that any of these things might be related.

I bought this car four summers ago in California at about 110k miles. It has a salvage title and was bumped in the rear end(taillight replaced, I am told, but could have been worse). I live in Idaho.

That winter I replaced the 12v for one with more CCA(it croaked as soon as it smelled winter). Additionally, when the temp began to change it started occasionally "slipping" from drive or reverse to neutral upon initial startup. It'd do this once or twice and then be fine. Never at speed.

This has gotten progressively worse with each seasonal change, but not so bad that I thought anything of it. I doubt it's related, but thought to mention.

The car has been well maintained as far as fluids and tires, but I've been unable to replace the brakes(sorely needed) this past year.

----------

The free plug in(OBDII or whatever) at Toyota says the hybrid battery is failing. I'm going to pay for a "real" diagnosis when I'm able, but I'm feeling pretty sunk. If it's the battery, or the battery and the transmission, I think I'll be looking at replacing my car.

Any thoughts/suggestions/things to try before paying for a diagnosis or dumping any money into it?

Best, Rhys H.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

what is the free scan at toyota?

3. BRBRerolling

BRBRerolling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's an OBDII scanner, I'd imagine. A more expensive plug-in of the ones Auto Zone and the like will plug in for ya.

Additionally, two days ago when getting off the highway the car popped out into neutral and refused to go in to either drive or reverse, so it appears it's a transmission problem. Thankfully, it waited until a convenient spot. It could additionally be the battery(or maybe an interface issue?) but at the very least now I have to get the shifter and transmission checked out. I've heard tell it can just be the shifter.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard of it. they have tech stream diagnostic software on a laptop, it's not usually free.

i wish i could offer advice, but if they are going to charge you to scan the codes, make sure you get a printout of all the trouble codes before paying them.

all the best!

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From what I understand, you 12v battery is not oem style?

It may be worth looking into that too, since it is 3+ years and your location and temps.