1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007-2008 Rear Hatch Rubber Switch Material Defect

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JC91006, Aug 19, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading a thread about how Toyota is willing to cover the defect on 2007-2008 Rear Hatch Rubber switches, I tried emailing Toyota to see if they would cover the replacement rubber switch on my 130k miles 2008 Prius. It's slowly getting to a tar like substance from heat and normal wear and tear.

I was quite amazed on their response. Letting me know the warranty for such an item is 3 year/36k miles. However, they added, in the interest of keeping my patronage to Toyota, which I own 6 of their cars, they were willing to extend a $500 reimbursement to me on ANY Toyota service or parts that I spend. I just have to send in my receipt to the address they provided and include a reference number. The replacement part if I DIY would be around $80, so I have an extra $420 to buy whatever I need.

This is truly Toyota going the extra mile on the customer service end. This will definitely keep me in the Toyota family for the long haul.

2. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    would you mind sharing the email address? what exactly did you tell them? how did they know that you own 6 toyotas?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    go to Toyota.com and click on the "contact us" link.

I have 6 vehicles registered on the Toyota owners section. But anybody can register as many cars as they want on the site, not sure if they ever verify the info.

Fifine likes this.
  4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just dumped the 06, the plastic that surrounds the rear hatch area was disintegrating and the ice was sounding valvie and it was time, the plastic surrounding the pull for the rear hatch was something popular on the 06's, it was pulling apart on lots of prii, had to grab metal to open the hatch, traded, got enough to walk away, and yes the rubber patch to open the hatch was very mushy, pity.

5. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing this.

Still I have to admit, it's a pretty warped $$$$ formula toward customer service. I'd be pissed if I were a shareholder.

Let us all bombard Toyota.com with our melted latch e-mails and see how much customer service goodwill we will get.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ymmv on this. At a minimum, they should cover the repair on the rubber switch.....but it really depends on who you talk to and how good of a day they are having.