1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 AC Fault Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by satwood, Jun 26, 2017.

1. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Everyone,

I tried searching and only found partial details on this question so I'm putting out a new thread. 2007 Gen 2 with about 250K miles. AC stopped working with no prior problems - just cold one day then hot the next. Compressor is not making any noise. There is some refrigerant pressure at low side test port. Codes 21 and 23 appear on the MFD using the diagnostic mode. I think 21 is the sunlight sensor so I can ignore. Code 23 might be high pressure sensor according to online sources. I did not see an external high side sensor location on the system. Is it internal to the compressor? What's your best guess on what has happened? Is this a bad compressor or something I might be able to fix externally?

Thanks for the help
    Steve

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried just recharging the AC system? You need to scan the codes on the car to get a clear picture of the actual failure.

For instance, when your inverter pump fails, it'll cut off your AC when it gets hot. But there's nothing wrong with the AC system

3. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have not tried a re-charge. Since the compressor won't start and I can see some pressure on the gauge on the low side port I did not want to put more in and overcharge. Do you know how much pressure I should read when the compressor is idle? The inverter coolant pump appeared to be running when I checked it and there are no engine DTCs or check engine light.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it gets low it will shut off to protect itself since the lubricant is in the freon. Real question is why did it get low?
    if that's the case the two main places they like to leak in the condenser behind the front grill and behind the firewall inside the cabin which is no fun to fix probably better to just keep recharging from time to time if the latter is the case.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Low side pressure should be ~30 psi.