1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Airbags Light Intermittent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kevin M Ferguson, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Kevin M Ferguson

Kevin M Ferguson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had an ongoing issue, but have somehow managed to get by the state inspection each year - until now.
    2007 Prius, Tier 3.

I get the Red Airbag light, and it's related to the passenger airbag system. When the car starts, I can get the Airbag OFF light (on passenger side), but then it goes out. Then I get neither the amber "OFF" or "ON" (depending on occupancy of passenger seat - that sensor works). Only the amber "Airbag" and red symbol.
    When i jiggle and re-seat the wires until the passenger seat (and sometimes disconnect the battery for 10 minutes), I can get the red light to go out for a few minutes. Then the system appears to work (I get both "ON" and "OFF" passenger airbag lights during start-up/test). But after 3 minutes, neither "ON" or "OFF" remain, and the red light is back.

I've tried replacing the seat, no joy. I've had a shop look at it for a few hours, and they couldn't find the problem. Is there anyway the dealer can take care of this for less than $1,000?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Do you have a Toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 reader to pull the stored code(s) with.

Please post any retrieved code(s) here.

Disconnecting the 12v battery it will erase the codes until they're set again.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Kevin M Ferguson

Kevin M Ferguson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not yet - I haven't pulled the trigger on techstream or a fancy code reader yet. I have disconnected the battery to reset the codes, but the light only stays off for 3 or 4 minutes. Evenentually it comes back on.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Codes lead to a solution/diagnostic tree. No codes, just guessing.

Techstream is an extremely useful tool; just like a ratchet/socket set. Techstream can be acquired from Amazon for $25+. Requires a laptop for installation. Obsolete Windows 32Bit OS (XP, Vista, 7) laptops are easiest for installation. Source a free laptop from people who work in IT; they probably have these laying around collecting dust. Mac install is possible, just search on Internet.

If you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you could easily sell your Techstream running OBD2 laptop here. You will likely recoup most to all of your cash outlay.